From Delphi to Meteora. Day 6


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece
April 30th 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We managed to get out of bed early enough so we could leave early. Around 8.30 we left Delphi. We made our way to Arachova where the climb of the Parnassos started. The higher we got the happier we were with the views. If I remember correctly the highest peak of the Parnassos is 2440 m. The other side of the mountain as we went down was as beautiful. we crossed several villages and some ski resorts. I suppose it gets really busy in the winter. It took about 3 and a half hours to reach Kalambaka/Meteora. It was difficult to find the hotel so we stopped at a petrol station to ask for information. The guy at the counter could not be more helpful. He checked on the internet and phoned the hotel for us. We checked in to Alsos House and had lunch in the tavern next door. Meteora and Kalampaka are two towns but it is not easy to define where the limits are. About 2 pm we started the climb to the top to see the monasteries on top of the rocks. It was pretty steep and tiring. The first one we reached, the Holy Trinity, was closed that day so we moved on to the next one, St Stephen. We visited the museum and the chapel in the monastery. It was a good expereince but once we got to the top we realized that the road to Meteora brings you right to the door of the Monastery. Walking up the path was more like the real thing though. After the visit to the monasteries we went back to the hotel, rested. We had a great dinner at a really cheap and cheerful taverna. My meal was cooked on the fire and we were sitting just in front of it. The wine, for what I remember, was very good. It rained a lot that night. Pics in the next entry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb