Michael Jackson's Still Popular Somewhere In The World


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Spetses
July 27th 2006
Published: July 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrival on SpetsesArrival on SpetsesArrival on Spetses

This was the view that greeted us as we alighted from the ferry.
I have recently re-emerged from a five day stint of relaxing on the Grecian island of Spetses. The weather, in case you’re interested, was hot and sunny. Everyday. Which was perfect for soaking up the sun and lounging around by the pool. This, by the way, pretty much encompassed our daily schedule. Everyday, Mom and Aunt Judy would wake, go for a walk, then I’d join them for breakfast. Following breakfast, we’d reward our hard work at standing in the buffet line by retiring to said pool. There, a steady routine of swim, read, nap, swim, read, nap was implemented. Around the dinner hour we’d make our way into town in search of sustenance. This proved to be our biggest challenge during the day: deciding where to eat. Given the sheer quantity of culinary delights offered on Spetses, it was not an easy task. Still, we managed somehow.

Spetses itself is a charming island. There are very few autos (but many motos), making one feel as though they have stepped back in time to an era long since passed elsewhere. To help add to the sense of stepping back in time, the popular radio station on the island played a
Spetses.Spetses.Spetses.

Walking into town from the hotel, I came upon this vista and thought it was rather picturesque.
curiously high number of hits from the 80’s. The taxi to the ferry terminal was rocking out to Van Halen’s “Jump,” while Chris De Burg’s “Lady in Red” greeted us as we wafted down to breakfast our first morning. In fact, most breakfasts featured those classics from the 80’s that we all know and love. I was even surprised to hear Michael Jackson crooning that soulful ode to the gal who keeps the card catalogue organized, “Librarian Girl.” Passé in North America, the King of Pop it seems still reigns supreme on the island where time stands still.

Or at least time seemed to stand still. Regrettably, we had to leave Spetses behind as the next adventure was beckoning. However, as I cast my thoughts back on the past few days, I can’t help but remember some perhaps prophetic words a local shopkeeper shared with Aunt Judy. As she paid for her purchases and was preparing to go, the shopkeeper said to her, “See you next year.” Maybe…just maybe.

(Incidentally, sorry there are no pictures of Spetses up for the time being. I am having some issues with loading pictures at this internet café. I’ll get some posted
Greek FoodGreek FoodGreek Food

I love food and Spetses offered up a veritable smorgasbord of delectable dishes.
when I can. In the meantime, take my word for it, it's beautiful).



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

View From the RestaurantView From the Restaurant
View From the Restaurant

This is the view from the very same restaurant we enjoyed the delectable Greek cuisine at.
Spetses SunsetSpetses Sunset
Spetses Sunset

On the walk back to the hotel, we watched the sun descend into the Aegean sea.
THE Blue DoorTHE Blue Door
THE Blue Door

Mom saw this blue door wreathed in bougainvilleas during one of her morning walks and thought it was absolutely wonderful. I kept hearing about “The Blue Door” as we walked to town after breakfast and waited with baited breath to see the door. It was worth the wait.
SteetsceneSteetscene
Steetscene

Here’s one of the main pedestrian streets in central Spetses around the busy dinner hour.
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

It’s breakfast time at the resort. Yum. And dig that view.
More Bougainvilleas.  More Bougainvilleas.
More Bougainvilleas.

Yup. like the title suggests.
Even More Bougainvilleas.  Even More Bougainvilleas.
Even More Bougainvilleas.

Well, can you blame me? They do make for some very lovely photos.
Old SpetsesOld Spetses
Old Spetses

We went strolling through the old part of town. I was expecting something a little more rundown than the more touristy places I’d been prior, but such was not the case.
Church On The HillChurch On The Hill
Church On The Hill

I really dig the whitewashed churches with the blue domes. I don't know why exactly; it just looks cool.
Old SpetsesOld Spetses
Old Spetses

Mom and Aunt Judy pose along the promenade in front of some whitewashed walls.
SpetsesSpetses
Spetses

Mom and son. Ain't it a sweet photo?


28th July 2006

Great to hear that !
I'm from Russia and I've been into his music for 12 years . I dunno if Michael is as big in Russia as in Greece , but I know lotsa guys from all over the world who appreciate his talent . C'mon , guys , why on earth do you think that the USA is the centre of the Universe ? LOL BTW, lots of people in the US love his music . It doesn't mean that the time has stopped for us , it means that his music is timeless and that Michael still rules ,and that we simply love good music . I love ' Liberian Girl ' Looking forward to hif new stuff !
30th July 2006

Wow!
That's it, I'm going to Greece! I love the pictures Ken. It looks so amazing. Thanks for sharing them with us.
31st July 2006

nice
nice uncas shirt ken!! oh fun adventures..... when i see all the place aunt judy heads off to, is it any wonder why i'm subjecting myself to lots and lots of schooling?
1st August 2006

Paradise Found!
These are great photos, Ken; loved the write-up too!
3rd August 2006

Hey Ken, Okay, now I'm truly jealous and wanting to travel to Greece. It looks so beautiful there!! I liked the picture of you and your mom - especially the Uncas shirt ... Cheryl

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb