Spetses, Greece. Worth it, but Interesting


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Spetses
July 15th 2003
Published: July 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Rob: Deanne and I visited Spetses, Greece right after our trip to Mount Kilimanjaro via London and Barbados. The cool thing was that we incidentally learned about Athena Travel, which set up this very cheap trip for a Last-Minute deal (found all over London). We had to take a flight at around 3 a.m., then an early morning ferry to the island. But it was so worth it!

Spetses was a fine place to visit. On the issue of race and ethnicity, it was an interesting experience. We noticed that little kids would blatantly point at us, simply because of the color of our skin. They had little or no contact with Black people. This happened as we walked down the street into town. It happened while eating dinner at a restaurant. In the latter incident, the entire open-air restaurant stopped talking and eating when we arrived. Nothing grand about our arrival. We had fanny packs, looking like tourists. Everyone went back to eating quickly. But this one family that we were seated next to, could not stop staring to the point that we reluctantly glared back. Another woman, a passerby, stared so much that we actually said, "what are you staring at?" A white American would have been embarrassed, but this woman did not miss a step. We felt like we were sometimes in a fish bowl. Despite the blatant and occasional stares, we had a fantastic time. I highly recommend this stop. Just remember that Spetses is very small and limited in terms of what it has to offer. But middle aged folks like us will have a great time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb