The Adventure Begins


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Piraeus
April 7th 2009
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Please note: you do not have to read all of this blog. I am also writing it as a memory jogger for Steve and I when we return to reality in Australia!

After almost 14 hours on a plane, we touched down in Athens on time at 2pm, tired but excited. It was a balmy 14 degress and lightly raining. Going through customs could not have been easier. We were met by Dimitrios, from Athens Taxi. He was a very nice chap, who like many Grecians, liked to talk with his hands, sometimes while driving! We felt very safe with him though. He pointed out the Parthenon that we could see from the freeway. It was amazing to think that we were finally here. I'll admit that it still feels quite surreal.

Smoking advertisements abound in Athens (you would love it dad - Dimitrios advised that most of the population smokes - so it would be great for business!). We even saw a chap on a motorbike smoking. My thought was that it would burn a lot more quickly.

After stopping to purchase our ferry tickets, we were dropped at our hotel. The streets are small and people park anywhere. We are very glad that we decided not to drive (we will save that adventure for Santorini where the streets are narrow and on cliffs without fall protection :-}).



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb