Day 4 - Last in Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 26th 2005
Published: May 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

it was raining really hard this morning but i had to see some stuff i supposed. the american guy, charles, decided he was also going to crete today so he went and got a ticket for the same ferry i was on this evening.

he was off to the akropolis so we agreed to meet up later. i went off to see the temple of zeus and pillars of zeus which i had walked past before but never gone in. i got caught in the rain there so headed off and chilled out in a bar for a while reading a magazine. after the rain cooled off i went to the archelogiacl musium which was quite good but i dont think im really a musium kind of person. (i went to war musium yestuday but it was mostly closed - that could have been good). i got bored rather quickly but it perked up when i reached the part were there were multple figures on the statues - i decided to try and figure out what they were saying to each other. it was a shame nobody was there to hear my auful attempts at wit.

i went down to teh roman forum and got some food from a street corner which was only $1.50 and really nice and filled me up a treat. i think it was that gillis thing or however you spell it. anyhoo the guy shouted at me as i looked his way 'chicken or pork' i said chicken and he took money off me. was worth it. i went into the roman agoria and ancient agoria before heading back to the hostel.

we went down to the ferry port and borded the ferry. i had booked a shared cabin so after a whort while called it an early night at 10. had to be up at 5.30 when the ferry docked.

thoughts on athens:

its a nice enough place but the drivers are nutters.
the zebra crossings are confusing and its like your playing a game of chicken with the cars ... i was usually the chickn. but then i saw what the stray dogs were dong and just following the locals and did the same.
there are loads of ruins and thats about it - you can be wandering down a street and stuble over where they have unearthed some baths or a sewer system which is kinda cool.
the are i stayed in wasnt the best place to be based.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb