Final Visit to Acropolis


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 6th 2016
Published: May 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Friday: John left early to take a last visit to the Acropolis, walking through the Plaka and Agoura and up the Sacred Way to the main entrance. Peggy relaxed and then visited the Acropolis Museum again to take in all the beauty. We met up late morning and walked back into the Plaka to find additional gifts for the family. Visited a nice jewelry store where Peggy got a little charm for her bracelet and chatted at length with the manager, Stavros, who we had met a few days ago. He and his family have been in business in Athens for 45 years, which puts it’s birth at the last visit Peggy had to Athens when she did her junior year abroad. The shop may have changed but the byzantine and Hellenistic designs have not. And Stavros pointed out that it was a rough day because all the transportation workers are on strike for three days! We had noticed but it meant little to us as we walked everywhere. Of course, with the holiday at the start of the week and the strike, all transportation workers had a week’s holiday. What a surprise!

We met up with friends John and Yoshi for lunch at the Old Tavern of Psaras up on the hillside above the Plaka and below the Acropolis. The atmosphere was relaxing and the food was good. Can you go wrong with a lamb dish? We spent a few hours enjoying the company and the food … ending with Greek coffee. It actually does taste good but the “sludge” at the bottom is hard to deal with. John attempted to read the coffee grounds but they were simply too congealed to get a clear indication, other than “everything on the trip will turn out well”.

We proceeded back down into the Plaka and casually made our way back to the hotel for a little down time and organizing everything prior to departure tomorrow. A final visit to the bar at the top of the hotel for a drink and we were settled in for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb