ATHENS


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
October 26th 2014
Published: October 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

ATHENS. SATURDAY. 25.10.14. Cool, overcast.



Today we flew to Athens. A good flight, over quickly. Athens airport is about 60 minutes from downtown. The bus ride into town was smooth even though the road was busy. Cars park irrationally, often blocking through ways adding to the mayhem. We are staying at Syntagma Sq., where the parliament is situated on one side, The Plaka the other, and the Acropolis looming over all. Very convenient.

We are enjoying Greek food, eating at a spectacular restaurant which ran down a hillside, capable of seating 800 people, yet having a very intimate feeling.





ATHENS, SUNDAY 26.10.13.

Overcast in the morning, clearing to blue sky in the afternoon and a cold evening.



Today we walked through the marvellous gardens opposite our hotel. Very mature trees, a mixture of tropical and temperate plants. Came upon the Zappio, a large convention centre, many years old, with a charming interior. Wandered onto the 60,000 seat stadium, built for the first games of the modern era, at the end of the 18th century, and the arena which saw the conclusion of the 2004 Olympics Marathon.



Afterwards we visited the exceptional Acropolis Museum, housing relics recovered from the continuing excavation of the Acropolis site. Many pieces dating back to 460 BC. The sculptures were exceptional in their detail. Zeus, his daughter Athena, and other gods- Hermes, Nike,et al, were marvellous in their fluidness. Many Greek Gods commemorate Fertility, and phallic symbols are on display in ancient sculpture, on fridge magnets and mediocre tourist paintings.



The weather is quite cool, and the short haircut I gave myself before departure means that I am noticing the cold. We wandered around the Plaka, the initial Athens settlement, a mix of attractive and tackiness, very poor tourist junk and a variety of cafés. Wandered through the flea markets, which were crowded with people and cars, but quite interesting.



We reassessed our opinion of Athens, and can now say that it is more appealing than our first impressions.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb