Tear Gas and Flash Bangs in Syntagma


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
June 27th 2011
Published: July 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our last morning in Santorini, we had breakfast again on our terrace and took advantage of the facilities for a morning swim before showering and checking out. We headed to the airport for our early afternoon flight and were informed upon arrival that due to protests in Athens, our flight had been cancelled and we couldn't return to Athens until next day. Even the ferries were on strike so we did not know how we would get back and make our next day flight to Vienna Austria. After some tense interactions, we were told that a flight had been added by the airline which we could take leaving in 2 hours. It was the best they could do so we waited and took the 2 hour flight to Athens reaching there at 19:00. Once there, we learned the buses and trains were on strike as well so we would have to take a taxi. We stopped at the airline ticket counter to determine what we would do for our next day flight since the protests would still be active. Our 11 am flight would inevitably be cancelled but we would be placed on the 13:00 flight. We left the airport and the cabbie informed us of needing to take the long route to our hotel near the Syntagma because of the protests. When we got close, we were told to walk the 10 blocks because police had blocked off the streets. When we finally reached the hotel, we checked in and, of course, headed in the direction of the protests (sorry Moms)!! How could we miss this? Almost immediately, our eyes started burning from tear gas and we knew we were in for some excitement. We got to Syntagma square where thousands-youth and older people too- had gathered to protest the government. There were banners, Greek flags, slogans, music and food stalls everywhere-almost a carnvial type atmosphere. People had gas masks either on or handing around their neck and white powder like substance on their faces from the tear gas. We walked around, the tear gas burning now our eyes, nose, and throat. Police were setting off flash banks when people got too close but our biggest threat was a pickpocketer. The potests were, for the most part, peaceful and the peoples compliants were no different than what we fight for in the states. After a thrilling and inspiring experience, we walked to a strip of town with restaurants frequented by locals where we enjoyed gyros. We walked town and made our way to the old town, where we stayed the first night. We had planned to see a 23:00 movie at a rooftop cinema overlooking the Acropolis!! It was theatre stying seating with food and drink avaiable. And when we lost ourselves in the storyline, we would glance over and be reminded that we were watching a movie next to the Acropolis! What an experience!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.621s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.3346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb