Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
April 27th 2006
Published: December 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After landing in Athens and checking into our perfectly located hotel, we wasted no time heading straight up to the imposing Acropolis site high on the hill near our hotel. While much of the site is under re-construction to fix up prior renovation stuff ups, it is still an amazing site. The Parthenon is the jewel in the crown of the area and it’s huge front is still as it stool in 527BC, and amazing temple and hard to believe it was built so long ago.

The Theatre of Dionysos is just as incredible. From there we headed to the Ancient Agora, a mass of ruins just as impressive as the Roman Forum in Rome. From there it was to the smaller roman forum and the Temple of the Olympian Zeus, the ruins of what must have been an absolutely huge temple. Amazingly, 16 columns still stand as a museum right in the centre of Athens.

So after an entire afternoon of marble columns and statues, we had enough and went to the great shopping markets for a look and then sat outside a nice little restaurant for some delicious gyros!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

View From AcropolisView From Acropolis
View From Acropolis

Looking down to the Temple of Olympian Zeus


Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb