Day 3: Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 28th 2009
Published: September 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Zeus/PoseidonZeus/PoseidonZeus/Poseidon

Famous statue of Zeus or Poseidon at the Archaeological Museum in Athens.
I awoke early to catch the sunrise. While pretty, it was not that inspiring and probably not worth the effort. Sunsets are much better at least from our hotel vantage point. With the Parthenon now bathed in sunlight. Judy and I headed out to knock some things off our shopping list. We found the equivalent of a Target named Hondos Center here to pick up some toiletries. I also was able to find a electric adapter to allow me to recharge my laptop. It died due to lack of power and kept me offline for most of yesterday. I also was looking for a SIM card for my old iphone which we knocked out at a Vodafone store.

Our goal for the morning though was to get to the Central Market where the locals shop. What an experience that was! There was a huge meat market with over 50 butcher stalls. Huge hunks of meat along with chickens and lambs that still had eyes and teeth. Vegetarians would need a strong stomach to survive a visit here. Next door was the fish market that was equally as entertaining with the selection of fish including octopi. The smell was a little strong for me though and we moved on to fruits and veggies. We refueled on some bananas and headed off to souvlaki row again near Monastiraki Square for lunch.

To reach our next destination, the Keramiekos cemetery, we took our first ride on the local subway. The stations were very clean with all signage in both Greek and English. As an aside, most signs are also in English and most people speak good English as well. The trains themselves though are always full and have graffiti all over them. Nonetheless, it got us to where we needed to be. The cemetery was OK but I am not sure worth the effort to go out to see. Ruins are ruins at the end of the day for me.

The subway ride back into the heart of Athens was uneventful. We soon found ourselves at the National Archaeological Museum. The highlight here is the famous Zeus/Poseidon statue of him throwing a spear. Also there is the Horse and Jockey of Artemision bronze and statues from the Mycinean(sp) age. Our feet were almost on fire at this point and a much needed break at the cafe was required. Once refreshed, we completed our tour of the museum before heading back to the hotel.

Nearby the hotel, we picked up some more souvlakis and a bottle of red wine to enjoy on the roof of the hotel. The night air was cool but not cold with a fabulous view of the Parthenon. Judy and I were trying to see faces in the rocks below the Acropolis and the wine certainly helped. After polishing off the bottle, we called it a night for our final full day in Athens.

Next up we board our cruise ship for Santorini.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb