Athens, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
July 29th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

July 29: The Parthenon: Not Just Your Ordinary Temple!


Our trip from teh port city of Piraeus to Athens, although short, did not bode well for those of us who love hearing about the history of these amazing works. I'm also pretty certain that we couldn't have been warned one more time about the prevalence of pick-pocketing - where are we, anyway?

Although beautiful and intense, we found the Parthenon and its surrounding ruins to be a bit disappointing - I think our guide sullied our experience. I also think that part of the problem with this tour was the chaos that accompanies thousands of people attempting to fit themselves through a passageway that allows two people to stand abreast in either direction (up or down) into the ruins. aarrggghhh...

Next, we stopped at the beautiful Olympic stadium, rebuilt for the 2004 Olympic Games - the feeling I got here was one of awe and pride for all the athletest that have come through this place and this country. It was amazing, even though we were only there for a few minutes.

We left our crappy tour and went on our own to explore the city, just in
ColiseumColiseumColiseum

on the grounds of the Parthenon
time to see the changing of the guard in front of one of the main government buildings. We went shopping in the famous market streets and had lunch in a spot that looked up at the Parthenon, which was pretty cool - I think it was our best view of the Parthenon yet!

We then toured the Old Plake, containng a number of beautiful ruins, busts and the most complete temple in Greece.

HHI = Level 4. Hot, but doable (especially when one is carrying an umbrella!)




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

ProofProof
Proof

that Angel & Mark didn't download pictures off the internet


Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb