getting there, the rest of the story


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 17th 2009
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So - the rest of the story.... the taxi driver that we eventually did accept a ride from charged us 12 euros instead of 35a nd knew where the thing was, except he was either drunk or senile, or drunk and senile. ha ha... he honked at random people and screamed, almost ran over a few pedestrians and cursed in greek. when we finally got to where we were going he had to scream at a pizza delivery guy to move his moped and then pulled over muttering something or other.... after he nearly broke his arm trying to get my hand luggage out of his trunk (it was soooo heavy he said) he wanted 15 euros instead of 12. i told him no and wasn't takin any lip. we just got our bags and walked away while he gave us the evil eye and muttered something else.

we found where the address was supposed to be but it looked like it was a pizza shop instead if a house... i failed to take into account multi-level zoning ... the house was above the pizza shop, as we found out when i texted fotis' brother, who was waiting for us very graciously inside, and he stuck his head over the balcony and called to us. mike let us in and showed us around, he and his HUGE dog, and then explained that he had to run away cause the cat had scratched his wife in the eyeball.

the flat is great - second floor with a big, covered balcony overlooking a busy street, filolaou, and it has two bedrooms, a living room, bathroom, and kitchen. there is an extra bed in the spare room and the sofa and johnny and i were discussing who would sleep better where. the living room is very noisy cause it was a wall of glass and a noisy street outside, but has the airconditioner... the spare room is much quieter, but has still air. we decided, then switched, and eventually i would up in the spare bedroom while johnny slept on the couch. in the morning he realized how noisy the city was cause there was traffic throughout the night. johnny's used to the country where all you here outside are the crickets and maybe a noisy frog or two.... ha ha.

anyway - for dinner we went out and wandered around til we found a major street with some shops and cafes on it. we found one that was still open and went in, but when we got in the only menus we found were greek with a liiiiiittle bit of english. we decided to go with the spirit of adventure and closed our eyes, pointed, and ordered what we put our fingers on. not bad - two sandwiches, one, a club with fries and the other a baguette with salad on it. johnny got the club and i got the baguette and all was good with the world.

we got back home and decided to just take a shower and chill for the rest of the night. it wasn't long after our showers that we just paaaaassed out. i set my alarm for 7:30 (i was on italian time though, so it was really 8:30) and went unconscious. :o)

and that, boys and girls - was our first night here.

the rest of the day was spent in the airport at milan trying to sleep and charge our various electronic devices. the flight over wasn't that eventful (or full) and we both pretty much slept through all of it cause we were so tired and the seats were actually so comfortable.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb