Rain Rain and more Rain


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 6th 2009
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Adam as ZeusAdam as ZeusAdam as Zeus

In the Temple of Zeus
This is Tran here - so no one gets confused as to who is writing this. Adam just wanted everyone to know that he has nothing to do with this negativity. He wanted a cheery trip and leave out all the bad stuff but it can't always be paradise when you're on vacation. It rained in Paris, Cairo, and all three days in Athens. We are going to now conclude that we bring the rain with us everywhere we go.

Today actually started out really sunny from about 7am until noon. As soon as we checked out, we took the free shuttle to Syntagma Square and it immediately started to pour. We did get to see the Temple of Zeus and the old Olympic Stadium though. We bid our farewell to Athens and took the honor-system bus back to the hotel. We picked up our bags and needed a taxi back to Syntagma Square to catch the airport bus, which only costs 3 euros. The taxi driver we got looked so shady. He looked like Tommy Chong, that hippie stoner dude from That 70s Show. A ride there would've been only about 4 Euros and you can tell he did
Tran at Olympian ZeusTran at Olympian ZeusTran at Olympian Zeus

Isn't the weather awful?
not want to take us there for such a short ride, so he tried to convince us that there were protesters on the streets and all the roads were blocked, we should just use him to go to the airport instead. I told him, no, I just took the shuttle there earlier today and nothing is blocked and no protesters. He got so mad at me. The trip cost 4 Euros. I had given Adam 5 Euros but he somehow managed to give the driver a 10 thinking he'd get some change. The guy didn't give any change, said it was 4 for the ride, 3 for a nice taxi (Mercedes), and another 3 because we had luggage. I was so angry. Adam and the guy argued a bit (exchanging f-bombs and hand gestures) and we got 2 Euros back, so that's pretty much 100 percent tip for a very rude and bad service. The airport was an hour away so you can imagine the cost of cabbing it there.

I don't know about Adam but I am never going back to Greece again. The people are very unfriendly and it was just not a good experience for me. The Marriott - that claims to be a 5 star, certainly did not offer 5 star service. They didn't even have a coffee maker or tea. They had those paper cups like the ones you get at Timmies but nothing to fill it with. The check in staff treated us like like crap and did not accommodate us with any of our requests. We had to do everything on our own and we were not even greeted by any of the staff, not once. They were very cold and made this part of the trip somewhat unpleasant. Well I'm at the airport - thank god this place is over with. Hopefully Rome will be a lot better. Adam will write next with more positive things about Rome (we hope)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Old Olympic StadiumOld Olympic Stadium
Old Olympic Stadium

It was fenced in. Adam really wanted to run around the track.
Olympic Stadium Where 1st Olympic Games Were PlayedOlympic Stadium Where 1st Olympic Games Were Played
Olympic Stadium Where 1st Olympic Games Were Played

Maybe both of us wanted to take a run around the track


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb