Our trip to Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
June 15th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post








Overview of our trip:

Day One - July 7th

Leave Monday morning July 7th.
12:30 flight from Binghamton to Philadelpha. US Airways flight 4467. Arrive 1:29 pm
Depart Philadelpha 4:30 pm US Airways flight 758
Overnight flight.

Day Two - July 8th.
Arrive at Athens airport 9:25 am
Will be met by Paul of athenstaxi by the baggage claim at 9:25.
Leave for private two day tour. Will drive to Sparta, visit Mystra
and Sparta, spend the night in Sparta at Hotel Menelaion, phone number 27310-22161 and 27310-22162. cell phone for athenstaxi is 01130-697-203-0853 if call from US. In Greece it is 697-203-0853.

Day Three- July 9th.
Drive to Diros and visit caves return to Athens around 18:00.
Check into th Athens Gate Hotel. Confirmation # 10001257. Phone number 30-210-92-302. Spend evening touring Athens.

Day Four-July 10th.
Begin seven daytour:
Leave from Athens by the coastal road to Corinth Canal (short stop). Drive on and visist the theatre of Epidaurus, famous for its remarkable acoustics. Then proceed to the town of Nafplio (short stop) drive on to Mycenae, visit the archeological site and the tomb of Agamemnon. Then depart for Olympia through central Peloponnese and the towns of Tripolis and Megalopolis. Dinner & Overnight in Olympia (Peloponnese)

Day Five-July 11th.
In the morning visit the archeological site of Ancient Olympia with the sanctuary of Olympian Zeus, the ancient stadium and the archeological museum. Then drive on through the plains of Ilia and Achaia until the magnificent bridge wich is crossing the the Corinthian bay from Rion to Antirion. Pass by the picturesque towns of Nafpactos (Lepanto) and Itea, arrive in Delphi. Dinner & Overnight in Delphi. (Central Greece)

Day Six-July 12th.
In the morning visist of the archeological site and the museum in Delphi. Depart for Kalambaka,
a small town situated at the foot of the astonishing complex of Meteora, gigantic rocks.
Dinner & Overnight in Kalambaka (Meteora) - (Central Greece)

Day Seven- July 13th.
Visit Meteora Monasteries, among striking scenery, perched on top of huge rocks which seem to be suspended in mid-air, stand ageless monasteries, where you can see exquisite specimen of Byzantine art.
Depart from Klambaka drive through Trikala and Larissa, arrive and visit the archeological site of Dion.
Admire also from there the gigantic figure of Mount Olympus the highest mountain in Greece, where used to live the 12 Gods of Greek Mythology. After the visit depart for Thessaloniki, the second largest and the most vibrant city in Greece.
Dinner & Overnight in Thessaloniki. (Northern Greece - Macedonia)

Day Eight-July 14th.
Depart in the morning for the Macedonian hinderland and the town of Kastoria the Greek center of fur industry and also famous for its beautiful lake. A prehistoric Lake settlement 7000 years old was discovered there and you will admire the rare findings in the tiny local museum together with the recreation of the old settlement. After the visit of kastoria continue driving in the plateau of Western Macedonia and arrive at the picturesque town of Edessa. There you can seat next to town's famous Landmark, the waterfall, and enjoy your coffee. We leave Edessa and proceed to Pella, the ancient capital of the Macedonia kingdom (King Philippos & Alexander the Great). In Pella we visit the exquisite floor mosaics of the 4th century bc. villas, in sity as well as the local Museum of Pella. Return to Thessaloniki in the evening.
Dinner & Overnight in Thessaloniki. (Northern Greece - Macedonia)

Day Nine-July 15th.
In the morning we do a sightseeing tour of Thessaloniki city, that throughout the era of the Byzantine Empire was the "Coreigning" City, second in population and prestige only to Constantinople (Instanbul).
Visit unique monuments and feel the glorious Byzantine past in some of the oldest and most characteristic churches of the Cristina World as well as visit the Museum of Byzantine Culture, awarded with the Council of Europe's Museum Prize for the year 2005. Rest of the day is free at your leisure to enjoy time at the lively center of Thessaloniki City.
Dinner & Overnight in Thessaloniki. (Northern Greece - Macedonia)

Day Ten-July 16th.
In the morning we leave Thessaloniki and drive to Vergina (the most important site in Macedonia). There we will see a very important museum with all the astonishing and priceless findings that belonged to Macedonian Civilization which recent excavations brought to light (The Royal Tombs of Macedonia, the tombe of King Phillipos - father of Alexander the Great). Apart from that we can also admire the remains of King Phillip's Palace (father of Alexander the Great). After the visit we drive south and through the valley of Tempi, Lamia, Thermopylae (see the Leonida's monument), kamena voulra, arrive in Athens early in the evening. Check in to the Attalos Hotel. Phone Number 302103212801-3. Spend evening in Athens.

Day Eleven- July 17th.
Leave Athens early in the morning (aproximatelly 07:15) by bus to Paleon Phaleron (Trocadero harbor).
Boarding on the cruise boat and Sail for the Island of Aegina, (Optional visit of the famous Temple of Athena Aphaia). Cruise through the streets to the pretty island of Poros (visit).
Lunch on board and then on to Hydra Island (time for shopping or swimming).
Sail Back to Trocadero harbor and transfer by bus to Athens
Spend evening in Athens. Stay at Attalos Hotel.

Day Twelve-July 18th.
Depart for flight home at 8:00 a.m. Leave Athens on US Airways flight 759 at 11:30 am Arrive at Philadelphia at 3:45 pm. Depart on US Airways flight 4599 at 6:20 pm, arrive at Binghamton at 7:30 pm.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb