Watching the Snow Fall in Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
February 17th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It is the coldest in four years in Athens today, and it also snowed for the first time in four years. I feel so lucky to share in that experience. It is a lighter snow that melts mostly if it reaches the ground, however, it still stays on other objects such as trees and cars. Of course in weather like this you must have a snowball fight, which we did!

Since I last wrote, we have been to the Benaki museum which was originally someone's house, however when he died, his soon donated it to be made into a museum. It goes in chronological order through the house with the different exhibits, however no pictures were allowed inside. I can't even imagine how it could be a house. We also hiked up Likavitos Hill, which is the tallest hill inside Athens and you can see to the sea. That day it was almost 60, so our group was in t-shirts and tank tops while the rest of Athens was in heavy coats looking at us as if we were crazy.

There is the Church of St. George at the top of that hill. Outside sits a cut old Greek lady who likes to look at the pictures you've taken. I also met a mid aged lady from New York who had just been to Istanbul while we were looking around the church.

On Friday we got the chance to perform in the Herodes Atticus theater, which is a Roman theater set at the bottom of the acropolis. Basically no one ever gets in to the theater, but David managed to get us in after asking numerous people numerous times. It was the experience of a life time. The acoustics were amazing and it was definitely set up for every one to hear well. Brock and I did a scene from Medea being Jason and Medea. Getting to perform there was so great!

There was an Ancient Greek Acting workshop that we went to. It was very modern in it's feel with the ancient Greek spoken parts. There was alot of chanting and hopping involved, but we did paint our faces like masks and get to do some acting and such.

This morning we went to Hellenic Cosmos, an interactive theater which was pretty fun all around. Now since it is snowing, I think I'll stay inside where it is warm and work on something or just relax.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb