Class at Socrates' Prison


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
February 5th 2008
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Senate of Ancient AthensThe Senate of Ancient AthensThe Senate of Ancient Athens

We had class here... Where Socrates was on trial and sentenced to death.
These last few days there hasn't been too much that has happened... Just a lot of class and homework. So I'll skip talking about that and just write about the halfway eventful things in the last few days... On Sunday we had a bike tour of Athens. That was pretty cool. We went to places that we had been before, so that was nice because we had an idea of where we were going. It was a little difficult to ride the bikes in some places because there were so many people. But overall it was a lot of fun. Then the afternoon was just homework. But on Sunday night (well actually Monday morning) at 1am we went to the Hard Rock Cafe to watch the super bowl. Our whole group, including professors, went. So that was neat. One thing that really sucked though was that there were no commercial 😞 and I think those are the best part! Instead, when there should have been commercials, it was just a view of the stadium.. How boring. I only stayed til after half time, because by then it was already 3:30am and I was tired. The next day the professors postponed class til 1pm, so that was nice that we got to sleep in after that. Then on Monday we had class at the place where the ancient Athens senate took place. We were discussing "The Apology" by Plato which is about the trial of Socrates. And the senate place is actually where that took place 2,500 years ago. So that was amazing talking about this trial that happened so long ago at the actual place. Then we went to the place where Socrates was kept in prison for a while and then executed. When we were at the prison, we discussed Plato's "Phaedo" which is about the execution of Socrates and his last words. So again that was awesome to be at the same place discussing what happened 2,500 years ago. Also, in the prison (which is a cave) is where Plato got his "Allegory of the Cave" idea from. So again that was so interesting being at that place. And just to be at the same place that these amazing philosophers that we still read about were. But yea, so that was really cool, even though it was class. But probably one of the best class days ever!
Then today we had class (kinda boring, it was at the hotel) and then this afternoon I went shopping and just walked around. So nothing too exciting, but I did buy this necklace that has my name in Greek on it, so I thought that was kinda neat. Now we are just hanging out in the hotel waiting for dinner!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Super Bowl!Super Bowl!
Super Bowl!

Me and Rachel at the Hard Rock Cafe for the Super Bowl.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb