Ode to the Food Company


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 4th 2005
Published: September 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ode to The Food Company…

I spent Sunday recovering from Saturday night, by both sleeping and making phone calls to secure the contents of my stolen wallet. In the afternoon, Gina, Amanda, and I ventured to the Food Company, a restaurant written up in Lonely Planet as the only inexpensive restaurant in Kolonaki. The Food Company did not disappoint. It exceeded my highest expectations of any restaurant. The food was both delicious and inexpensive. With UB40 playing on the speakers and tables of hipster Greeks we hadn’t yet seen in Athens, the atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed. The three of us savored the best food we had yet eaten in Greece—a lentil and feta salad, meatballs with mashed potatoes, pasta with feta cheese and tomato sauce, and chocolate mousse cake that tasted like uncooked brownie mix. The meal was delicious, and we sat there discussing our food-induced euphoria for at least an hour.

We told the waiter we were going to come back every day, and he informed us that, two days from now, The Food Company would be closing its doors forever! Apparently, the city of Athens was forcing The Food Company out in order to make room
Inside the Food CompanyInside the Food CompanyInside the Food Company

A spiral staircase and dried foods hanging from the cieling.
for a more expensive, high-class establishment. The waiter’s words hit us like the light hits your eyes after a night of ouzo-drinking in Glyfada. We realized we had to come to terms with just how fleeting our love affair with the Food Company really would be, and we decided to cherish our two remaining days with the Food Company.

Food Company—we will miss you deeply but will never forget you.

To the mayor of Athens—you must never have tried the lentil and feta salad, or surely you would reconsider your decision.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Gina and meGina and me
Gina and me

happiness


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb