Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens » Vassilikos
August 31st 2011
Published: September 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a few hours in business class on our ferry from Naxos, we arrived at the port of Piraeus, the central harbour of Athens! We got off the ferry and found out way to the taxi rank to get to our hotel. After explaining where we wanted to go and having several drivers simply walk away, we had a man tell us we could walk there in 5 minutes. I think they must have walked off because they didn't want the crappy fare but no need to be rude about it! So with that we grabbed our bags and kicked my phones GPS into gear and set off up the street. About 25 minutes and 10 streets later we arrived at our hotel, Faros II. This hotel was great, and the staff were really friendly. We got our things organized in our room and headed downstairs to go to dinner. The receptionist told us about this place down at the port so we checked it out. It wasn't bad but not as good as he had made it out to be. We then went back to the hotel to bed.

We woke up at about 10am the next day and decided that we would head out and see the historical side of Athens. So we headed into the city and visited the Acropolis Museum. The Acropolis is basically the centre of operations for anything that was going on in Ancient Greece and the museum had all sorts of artifacts from hundreds and thousands of years ago. The disappointing thing was that the curator had decided that instead of leaving the tablets and sculptures as they were found, that he would finish them with plaster of paris. This looked pretty tacky and ruined the whole effect. Afterwards we got some lunch from a local kebab shop and had a look around all of the souvenir shops. We headed back to our hotel and relaxed for a few hours in our room before heading out for dinner at the port again. This time we found a little takeaway pizza and pasta place and took it back to the hotel.

The next morning was our last morning in Athens and we were due to board our cruise liner at 2pm that afternoon. Before we left we did Skype with the Wadleys before having some lunch at the same place we had dinner the night before. We then wandered back to the hotel and got our things before heading to the port for the next leg of our journey!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb