Gibraltar


Advertisement
Gibraltar's flag
Europe » Gibraltar » Gibraltar
April 5th 2008
Published: April 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

By 6am we were hurtling down the coast in a rented BMW at 160km per hour, hoping to make it to the edge of Europe in time to see the sunrise. We made it. I was impressed by the city, though we didn't have time to explore the rock itself.

You have to cross the runway of the city's airport to get in. It felt very strange walking across such taboo pedestrian space, but all cars and people have to cross, stopping and going in time with landing planes. As you may know, Gibraltar is part of the UK, so I had to change currency back into pounds. The English breakfast is pretty foul wherever you are. Gibraltar is very English in appearance, with the same crosswalk buttons, phone booths, police uniforms, etc. It was strange to feel back in known territory, yet so far. It was a bizzare morning for sure.

We explored the neighborhoods that scale the cliffs, then headed back to the car to secure ferry tickets to Morocco. For better or worse, we decided the tickets were too expensive, and headed aimlessly up the coast with little more than a regional pocket-guide.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

PIC 260PIC 260
PIC 260

Thats mainland Spain over there, looking over Gibraltar.


6th April 2008

Yikes!
Never admit to driving 160 km/hour where your mom can read it! Geez!! Very cool, touching one side of the country and then the other all in the course of a morning. I'm envious!!
8th April 2008

BEAUTIFUL!
Kevin you take such incredible photos on your travels. I think you should be the modern day Frommer's. :) Maybe there is a career for you in sharing your experiences. I think you might like Wayn.com to post your travels. Take a look into it, you might like it. I hope I can travel with you soon. -D
8th April 2008

I agree with your mom
and had of course the exact same mom reaction -- yikes! slow down! we love you and want you to stay in one piece! Loved the photos. I am jealous that I am not wandering around Spain and Gibraltar.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb