Day Two: Wedding Party Day


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Moritzburg
June 11th 2014
Published: June 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Ralf planned an absolutely perfect day to celebrate the blending of our new family after our recent marriage. While I am not surprised at his attention to every detail, I am so thankful to be married to such a thoughtful man. We started the day with a private breakfast in the Hotel Waldschanke dining room as we told the kids to sleep in after their very long travel day so they would be well rested for the events of the days to come. Ines and Jonannes and Martina joined us at the hotel later morning and then after introductions, we set off on foot to the adjacent grounds and home of the original Fuhrung Fasanenschlossen. Ralf had arranged for a private guided tour where we learned the history of the structure that was built by Marcolini, a rich and influential supporter of August the Strong. This structure had a direct view through a long channel of trees to the main Mortitzburg castle (where we visited yesterday) and the guide talked of the many parties held in this residence and all of the political power of August the strong and Marcolini during these midevil times. The kids got a kick out of the fact that the tour guide explained that it was considered an "honor", reserved only for the powerful, to be accompanied to the bathroom for wiping service! There were many original pieces of artwork depicting the times which portrayed how much emphasis was put on these elaborate social events and celebrations of the royal family, their friends, and guests from other countries. The guide explained that for the dinners held here there would typically be 6 courses consisting of 20 dishes for each course. After our private tour, we had a chance to walk around the grounds including the lighthouse that was constructed as a gift for visiting Russian leaders and the island that was reserved for the bathing needs of the lady of the house. Then, another German tradtion of afternoon cake and coffee called Kaffetrinken. Ralf had reserved a special private room at the Marcolini house and we sampled a lovely assortment of delicious cakes and cookies. Next, we boarded a horse drawn carriage for a beautiful afternoon tour of the area surrounding the Moritzburg castle. It was fascinating to hear about the elaborate hunting parties and social events of the former king that we held in this castle which was built primarily for those purposes. Poor Jamie's horse allergies were in full force but we all enjoyed the tour nonetheless! Later, we enjoyed a long and very fun evening of wedding celebration, starting with champagne in the formal reception area, followed by a scrumptious diner, lots of laughs and even singing, and a lovely wedding cake which was a surprise from Ines. We finally decided we should get some sleep by about 2:30am!


Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fuhring Fasanenscholssen TourFuhring Fasanenscholssen Tour
Fuhring Fasanenscholssen Tour

Otherwise known as "Amber's Pink Castle"!
Fuhring Fasanenscholssen TourFuhring Fasanenscholssen Tour
Fuhring Fasanenscholssen Tour

With our tour guide, Gunther, who has family who settled in New Ulm, MN and has visited there himself!
Fuhring Fasanenscholssen TourFuhring Fasanenscholssen Tour
Fuhring Fasanenscholssen Tour

Baby ducklings....sooo cute watching them mimic their mom


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb