Dresden


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Dresden
August 13th 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We caught the train into Dresden, our first train trip for sometime. We arrived mid afternoon and after checking into our hostel we hit the town.

One of the first things we noticed about Dresden was that not as many people seemed to speak English as other places we had been too. It also did not seem to be as crowded. However, what it lacked in people, it did not lack in architecture. Dresden was almost completely destroyed due to Allied bombing during World War 2. However, it seems that all the old buildings have been reconstructed to match the old style. There are even photos showing how Dresden used to look and how it looks now, and you would hardly know the difference.

Dresden has numerous towers from the town hall, several churches, museums and even a palace. After we ate our dinner, Kerrie discovered the art of taking night time photos of the old lit up buildings. So we ended up walking around the town for sometime pausing while Kerrie set up the tripod to take photos before we went to bed that night. Interestingly we also spotted several others wandering around with tripods that night.

In the morning we went inside the Volkswagon plant where they make the Phaeton. It is built almost entirely of glass so that you can watch the cars being built as they go around the assembly line. Later we went to what we thought was a city history museum but turned out only to be a transport museum with nothing written in English. Needless to saz we didn't stay there too long.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb