Dessau


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony-Anhalt
August 21st 2007
Published: September 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

First day in Sachsen Anhalt, one of the new German states (new German state is the proper way to refer to a former East German state). Take train from Hannover to Dessau, the Bauhaus city. Then cycle to Woerlitz and to Lutherstadt Wittemberg.

The area in rich in buildings of historical interest. Three UNESCO world heritage areas are sited here. The first is the Bauhaus and Meistersiedlung in Dessau, the second is the Gartenreich Dessau-Woerlitz, the third is the Luthergedenstaetten in Wittenberg.

The Bauhaus and Meistersiedlung are known for their part in the development of leading architectural styles in the 1920's.

The Gartenreich Dessau-Woerlitz, which was a surprise for us as we had not heard of it until we were cycling along the Elbe and came across some examples, is described by UNESCO thus:

The Garden Kingdom of Dessau-Wörlitz is ‘an exceptional example’ of the application of the philosophical principles of the Age of Enlightenment to the design of a landscape that integrates art, education and economy in a harmonious whole. This was the justification given by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee for the inscription of this manmade landscape in the World Heritage List in November 2000.
5 of the 7 original Meisterhaussiedlung5 of the 7 original Meisterhaussiedlung5 of the 7 original Meisterhaussiedlung

Were rebuilt after the war


The philosophy of the 18th century is reflected in this park landscape with English gardens, castles and meadows, with antique-style temples on the banks of streams and lakes. Situated between Luther’s Wittenberg and the Dessau of the Bauhaus, the Garden Kingdom of Dessau-Wörlitz stretches over 150 square kilometres. This unique work of landscaping was created between 1765 and 1800 by Prince Leopold III Friedrich Franz of Anhalt-Dessau and his advisor, the architect Friedrich Wilhelm von Erdmannsdorff. (end of quote)

Over 100 items of architectural interest are found in the Garden Kingdom of Dessau-Woerlitz (as it is translated into English). We came across dozens of examples on our bike route. Two pictures are featured here.

And at the end of the day, we arrived at the Lutherstadt Wittemberg, the city where the split between the Protestants and Catholic Church took shape. It was quite lovely to see the spires in the distance come closer as we approached the city.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tower in forest Tower in forest
Tower in forest

One of a series of towers in the forest. One of over a hundred architectural pieces in the Garden Kingdom of Dessau Woerlitz. A rainy muddy path at times meant some walking the bikes.
Another tower in the Gartenreich Dessau-Woerlitz Another tower in the Gartenreich Dessau-Woerlitz
Another tower in the Gartenreich Dessau-Woerlitz

We are riding on the dyke by the Elbe River. We are again going up river but this time the prevailing wind is more likely to be with us than against.


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.2mb