Rhein in Flammen festival, St. Goar


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Sankt Goar
September 18th 2004
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

St. GoarSt. GoarSt. Goar

Rhein in Flammen.
An early morning today, as it was a long journey up to St. Goar, a small town which lies along the River Rhine.

Onwards we went, travelling along the Rhine until we arrived at St. Goar in the early afternoon. Unbeknown to us, there was a festival taking place that day. Paul had told us it was normally half-empty at this place, but it was packed solid with coaches and motor-homes. There were beer stalls set up everywhere, and the place was positively swarming.

We went for a walk along the Heerstraße, checking out some of the shops before we went to the Beerstein and Knife Center along this same street. Her we had our beerstein demonstration, where we learnt about the different types of beersteins that were made. After this we went for our dinner at the Hotel Montag nearby. Then we had time to spare, as we were going up the river later on, to see the Rhein in Flammen (Rhine in Flames) sights and fireworks. So I walked quite a way up along the river to kill some time.

We all met back up at our coach, and shortly afterwards all these boats suddenly started to build up along the Rhine, with all their illuminations. After around half-an-hour, the river river was filled with river boats, some big, some small, but with all of them together, lit up, it was quite a sight. Then, after a while, the fireworks started. They were quite spectacular. If only my camera had been better at taking firework shots!!! The fireworks were amazing and the noise unbelievable, as each of the thuds echoed across the landscape and over the hills around.

This display lasted for around an hour, and we then made our way to our hotel for the night. I was again rooming with Stu and Tex. The rooms were quite nice and welcoming - unlike the previous nights accomaodation in Munich! I was really tired tonight, which explained why I was quiet tonight. All these late nights and early mornings were beginning to catch up with me. A lot of the others went to the hotel bar, but I just wanted to get a few things sorted, checkout my video-work, catch up with my notes, and get a good night's sleep in.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb