Heidelberg and St Goar - Contiki


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Sankt Goar
October 17th 2005
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

St GoarSt GoarSt Goar

Wine tasting, with Darcy, Craig and Lans ... check me out in the Contiki tour manager jacket!
After 2 hours of sleep we were up and ready for my day as tour guide.

This also gave me the power that is the microphone on the bus, boy it was good. No-one was allowed to doze off as we travelled past Lake Thun, through amazing scenery on our way north through Switzerland and into Germany. The idea of Contiki Idol was put forth and after Mike started off with a rousing rendetion of Run To Paradise more people were willing to try out their vocal chords.

Some great efforts especially by Shell and Kath, who put the rest of us who tried to sing to shame. Although as I sang Time of My Life with Sharlee, I am pretty sure her vocal abilities pailed into comparison lined up with me. Such frivolities involved with the many songs was also enhanced by a bus-off with the other Contiki bus group, as we had our on-going battle with the other bus that involved many signs and moonings!

It was a pretty fun bus day, and although I tried to put out a few useless facts, like the fact Germany was discovered by Captain James Cook as he sailed
On the MicOn the MicOn the Mic

Tour manager for the day! Fantastic!
up the Rhine River in 1788 (I think the Americans bought it), my tour managing was largely acclaimed. All the while we travelled along that infamous autobahn, where it felt like we were crawling at a snail's pace.

We spent lunch in Heidelberg and wandered the streets of this unversity town, before continuing driving along the road that hugged the beautiful Rhine River and onwards towards Koblenz. The town of St Goar is the home of cuckoo clocks and teddy bears, where they orginated and we saw the biggest cuckoo clock (not impressive) and had a beer stein demonstation and tour, where we picked up a few steins to take home.

From then we headed over to a building and headed into their basement for a white wine tasting experience. We downed a few different whites in a very medieval setting below the earth's surface before taking our stock up again, making fun of the other tour group as we passed them. Good kids really, but good rivalry.

After a handstand competition that I am pretty sure Sean won hands down, we headed to our accommodation for the night and relaxed around the open fire with a
Contiki IdolContiki IdolContiki Idol

Mike started off proceedings to raptuous applause
couple of drinks while watching some of the kids skydiving dvds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Contiki IdolContiki Idol
Contiki Idol

Shell performed amazingly well


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb