Rambling down the Rhein


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Oberwesel
August 21st 2011
Published: August 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

What started out to be a comfortable ‘mosey’ has turned into a physically challenging and strenuous series of exploratory climbs to ruins, burgs, castles, etc. As we explored Zell, we climbed to the Runde Tower, the trade mark of the world famous “SchwarzenKatz” vineyards. It is half way up on the slopes of the steep vineyards and surrounded by memorials, a very ornate graveyard and towers that are part of the remaining town walls. The symbol of the SchwarzenKatz vineyards and all of their delicious wines is a black cat that adorns the fountain in the center of town, where all tours; walking and cycling, begin. As we wander through the towns along the Mosel, we became increasingly aware of the flooding that has occurred over the years. Gauges in 1784 appears to be the year of the highest flood level on the buildings at 23m. The next highest level appears to be 13m in 1993. This would indicate that the entire villages first floor is underwater and explains why most businesses and buildings have at least a full story that is stone or brick faced.

We have spent every night since 7/23, on the Mosel until 8/10, when we stayed in Alf at the base of Burg Arras. We woke to a temp. of 13 C. (56F) in the MH. And it’s summertime!

Sankt Aldegund was a wonderful place to watch the river traffic. All traffic has to go thru the lock, which is a local attraction whenever the larger tourist ships or barges go thru. The area of the river in front of our Stellplatz is wide enough for 3 barges to tie up the the night and still have traffic move freely. We observed the process of barges pulling in to tie-up for the night and crew activities. Church bells ringing in the morning and evening of every day,and in every town, is a familiar and welcome sound. Most of these churches are open and welcoming to all.

As we get closer to Koblenz, it becomes more difficult to find full service Stellplatz's, on the Mosel, however, driving distances are short and we are using the motor scooter to access areas of greatest interest, i.e. Burg Eltz, Ehrennburg, Burg Thurant. This being said, we have basically hiked for 30 to 45 minutes up the steep mountain pathways to these castles, taken photographs and enjoyed having lunch, before hiking back down to where we have left the scooter or MH.

We have met some interesting fellow motorhomers, including a couple who had just traveled from Amsterdam to Broderbach yesterday in 4 hours and are planning to ‘do’ the Mosel in the next 10 days. Another couple from the UK, stopped to chat today because after 7 weeks of travel throughout Europe, ours was the first Hobby MH that they had encountered and we shared information, laughs, coffee and kuchen, before they left to suss out the southern Mosel quickly, in anticipation of their next trip, on their way home to England.

Mundane chores such as grocery shopping, laundry and other necessary chores to maintain the MH, are also a challenge that keep us busy between sightseeing, hiking, and photographing gigs.

After we will have seen the many attractions in Koblenz, including the very large flower show, we have decided to turn our MH toward Mainz, exploring the Rhine River southwards, before heading to Koln.










Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb