Mosel and Rhine Rivers


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Koblenz
May 26th 2006
Published: May 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left France and travelled via train into Luxembourg and then to the township of Cochem in Germany, on the Mosel River. Cochem is like something out of a picture post card - a small medieval town in a lush green valley with a river flowing through the middle, a castle overlooking the town and surrounded by vineyards. We spent the afternoon walking along the Mosel river and then up the hill to the castle. A after overnighting in a B&B, breakfast was had in a large room (with a very large glass window) overlooking the street and view of the river and the town.

Mid morning we took the train along the Mosel River and onto Koblenz, on the junction of the Mosel and Rhine rivers. Outside our hotel room there was a street procession and night party in honour of the local soccer team and everyone was wearing the team's colours of black and blue. We went to an outside bar in the town square and watched the celebration party and singing, even the rain couldn't dampen the team fervour.

Next day we took the catamaran, Rhine Energie, up the Rhine River to Mainz. We spent a lazy six hours looking at castles, towns, vineyards and the river traffic.

We arrived in Mainz late in the evening and went by train to Frankfurt.

In the morning we are on the fast train to Holland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb