Back to Berlin


Advertisement
Published: January 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

AmpelmannAmpelmannAmpelmann

Kevin does his best Ampelmann impression. You can do things like this at 6:30 am the day after the love parade since there are no cars on the road.
After our sidetrip to Sweden, we took the train overnight back to Berlin. To recap Sweden, we spent the last day wondering around shopping in H&M, and some other stores in a mall. I loved the Bjorn Borg brand mens underwear so I had to get some. Super cush. I think we paid the equivalant of $12 CDN for two Whopper Jr.'s and a drink at a Burger King (ouch!). Also, Lordi is awesome. That about wraps it up.

We spent the night in the train with a family from Sweden who wanted to ask all kinds of questions about Canada and Croatia. When we got back to Berlin the train station was much...different...than when we last left it. It was about 6:00 AM and there were crowds of people sleeping all over the floor. There were beer bottles piled up around garbage cans and a definite smell of urine and puke filled the place. I thought "Man, this place sure went downhill in just two days".

We found our tram and took it to the Hostel, this time the Jetpack II near the Zoo station. We had to walk a bit from the station to the hostel and
FAKE!FAKE!FAKE!

There were buildings under repair, so a fake backdrop of an office was put up over the work. So this is really just a large picture of an office. Very efficient.
found it very strange again. The streets were empty of any people, and there were again tons of bottles all stacked neatly around garbage cans. A few people were around sifting though them but nobody else. We walked past a small park on the side of the road and the park was filled with little brown rabbits! They were running all over the place, likely enjoying the freedom of no people around to bother them. When we got to the hostel we went upstairs and waited for someone to come check us in. The owner finally heard us and woke up to let us in our room. We asked what we had missed last night and he told us - The Love Parade. Ahh, no wonder! Too bad we missed it, seemed like a crazy time. We were the first people from Saskatoon at the hostel so I put our pin on the map and we signed the book. By the way, this was a very nice little hostel, and we could easily recommend it to anyone. The owner is super cool and he'll help you with anything you want to know about Berlin.

This day we made our own walking tour and went to a museum. We also went to a great little mexican restaurant down the street from the hostel that night for supper. It was a pretty relaxing day, since we were beat up from Sweden and needed a breather. Next day it's on to Amsterdam, so better rest up!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

WarsteinerWarsteiner
Warsteiner

A nice pint of Warsteiner


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb