The grand cathedral


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
April 3rd 2007
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Bell01 Bell01 Bell

The Dom bell tower.
Geo: 50.8696, 7.276

Today I spent the day in Cologne. The first thing I noticed as the train came into Cologne was the huge twin spires of the cathedral. The Dom (cathedral) is the largest in Germany. It started to be built in 1248, funds ran out and building stopped for 300 years. Then it was completed. Luckily the cathedral was one of the buildings to avoid the bombing raids of WW II. I was feeling active, so I climbed the 509 steps of the Dom's south tower. Half way up I had a break and walked around the 24 tonne Peter Bell, the largest working bell in the world. I had then nearly reached the top, ahead of me was a metal staircase in the middle of the tower. It was at about this point as I was climbing up the metal staircase- that slightly moved, that I began to freak out- the usual thoughts entered my head, how can this very old structure still be standing and be able to hold all this weight? (the heavy bell and tourists), and other scary thoughts and like always I make it to the top, take a few photos and head down again.

Once
02 Looking out02 Looking out02 Looking out

From out from half way to the top.
I was on the ground again, I had a look at the inside of the cathedral. Then went to the Roman Germanic Museum. It was full of sculptures and ruins and many items from everyday life in Roman times. Things that were found in the city, which the Romans found in 38BC!

Walked around the Aldstadt and then went to the EL-DE Haus. A house that the Gestapo (Secret Police) took over in 1935 and set up 10 prison cells. Many people were interrogated, tortured and killed here. The prison cell walls were covered in inscriptions written by the prisoners. This museum was filled with lots of information, all very depressing and hard to comprehend how this was allowed to happen only 80 years ago.

Around the corner I saw the Romerturm (Roman Tower). Then I went to see the Praetorium, an old Roman governor's palace which is below the Renaissance town hall. Then caught the train back to Dusseldorf.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Staircase03 Staircase
03 Staircase

The last staircase I had to climb to reach the top.
04 Spire04 Spire
04 Spire

Looking out at the church spire and railway bridge.
04 Top04 Top
04 Top

Looking up at the top of the bell tower.
05 Top05 Top
05 Top

The walkway around the top of the bell tower.
06 Other tower06 Other tower
06 Other tower

Looking down into the other tower.
07 Inside07 Inside
07 Inside

Looking towards the alter.
08 Inside08 Inside
08 Inside

Gothic style arches.
09 Inside09 Inside
09 Inside

Inside the Dom.
10 Tomb10 Tomb
10 Tomb

The top of a tomb.
11 Glittering gold11 Glittering gold
11 Glittering gold

Religious stuff.
12 Windows12 Windows
12 Windows

Looking up at the Dom's stained glass windows.
13 Entrance13 Entrance
13 Entrance

Part of the entrance's archway.
14 Looking up14 Looking up
14 Looking up

The Dom's bell tower.
15 Dom15 Dom
15 Dom

The grand Dom.
16 Rathaus16 Rathaus
16 Rathaus

Old town hall tower.
17 Building17 Building
17 Building

A building.
18 Fountain18 Fountain
18 Fountain

A cute little fountain.
19 Prison cell19 Prison cell
19 Prison cell

One of the 10 prison cells.
20 Door20 Door
20 Door

The cell door.


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb