Cologne [Koln] Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
September 4th 2016
Published: September 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We cast off from Koblenz at 3:30am. It wasn't hard to go back to sleep.

We docked in Cologne at 9:00am. There were lots of other big boats and they have to parallel park between each other. The captains/pilots really know what they're doing.

Although there was a cruise led tour, this day we went off on our own. Our first stop was the central train station. We were told the signs were in German and English, but they weren't. Information told us to take a train from platform 10, but that went to the wrong airport. A station employee, who didn't speak English was able to understand Koln/Bonn Flughafen? He directed us to Platform 4. We'd also bought all day passes for up to five people (they come as one person or up to five), just in case. Another helpful young man who spoke some English confirmed we were in the right place. Our train arrived, we got on and away we went.

There was one stop between the main station and the airport, so the trip took less than 10 minutes, dropping us underneath the airport. We went to the regular terminal, vs. international and followed the image of a key over a car (rentals). The signs to go to the car pick up area and the check-in desk are the same, so we walked the length of the airport before retracing our steps and then upstairs.

My name was on the board, as I'd booked the rental online. While on the train I realized I hadn't brought my driver's license or Passport. We were able to get the car, a newer diesel E-Class Mercedes convertible, because Roger had brought both. He drove us to Nürburgring - a race track. I'd reserved a ride in a Porsche GT3 race car for Roger.

We were very early. There was lots of rain. The track was closed for almost an hour. Still, the wait was worth the ride. They even passed a Ferrari. VROOM, VROOM.

The plan was for me to drive back to the airport, but I couldn't find any way to move the driver's seat forward. With all the fancy options on the car, there wasn't a power seat button, only a small handle next to the center console to pull. Okay, now my feet could reach the pedals. We told the GPS to take us the Koln-Bonn Airport and we started out the opposite direction from where we came in. Hmm...

A second airport search told us to turn around. We took the same road out and then turned away from the Autobahn. This took us through the country, small villages, and along a river. An area we wouldn't have seen otherwise. So much green.

Closer to the city we did get back on the Autobahn, but there was a speed limit in all sections. No speed limit areas tend to be far away from urban centers. It wasn't long before we reached the airport and found the rental car return signs.

Turning in you stop at a gate and take a blue ticket. In front of me was a Hertz sign with an arrow to go straight. As I started some guys to my left called out and were waving for me to go in that direction. As I stopped backing up to turn in I touched the gate arm with the trunk. Of course all the Hertz people saw this and made sure to note the white paint "scratch." It will be interesting to see what they charge me for repairs.

Into and through the airport to the train platforms, the train we needed was waiting. This time a conductor did ask to see our ticket(s). Within ten minutes we were back at the main station in Cologne and confidently started back to the boat. The running portion of an Iron Man Triathlon was cordoned off and people with yellow coats would wait until no runners were approaching the open the barricade for non-participants to cross. It made us tired just watching the athletes.

Back on the boat we decided a drink was in order. We had plenty of time to then get freshened up before dinner. The evenings are all about the same. A fabulous meal, good wine and friendly company. The four courses take between 2-3 hours. Then out on deck, before calling it a day and night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb