Party continues in Cologne


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
February 25th 2006
Published: July 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Woke up the next morning feeling a little worse for wear but made myself get out of bed and made my way to the train station. I got on a train to Cologne which is a two hour journey north. The trains in Germany are brilliant, they are really efficient and always run on time. For the most part of the trip the train travelled alongside the Rhine river which is really beautiful and well worth it. We passed several small towns each with their own church and nestled into the valley. They all looked exactly the same and as we rounded each bend sure enough another town, another church! We passed maybe fifteen of these small towns and occasionally seeing the remains of castles perched atop the hill. The river is pretty busy with many barges going up and down transporting cargo.

Got off the train in Cologne and as soon as i stepped out of the station you see the towering structure of the Dom Cathedral. It is absolutely magnificent. The architecture is very gothic but it is so grand and so detailed, just amazing. I went to go inside the cathedral to have a look but as it was a public holiday unfortunately it was closed. There is also a roman museum right behind it displaying roman ruins that had been rediscovered. I had no idea that so many romans had settled in germany. Lunch consisted of apple crepes which were delicious just so messy to eat, with half of it either on me or on the ground!

I walked around the town, the streets were packed with partygoers, music was playing everywhere as the carnival festivities were still continuing. It was a really great atmosphere. The pubs were also packed with people spilling out onto the street. I had to laugh there were a few people who were already plastered and it wasn't even midday!! I hung outside one of the bars at the bar tent and chatted to a few people. Although i would have loved to have stayed and joined in the festivities, i was running out of time so had to make my way back to the train station to catch the train back to Meinz. I arrived back just in time to get ready for my flight back to Dubai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb