Departing Europe after a nostalgic rendezvous in Koeln...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
September 5th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So, when I initially planned this trip, I decided that after the drudgery of hostels and venturing by my lonesome through foreign territory, I needed to reward myself with a few days of TLC surrounded by the comforting familiarity of re-visiting facets of young Maya's life in Koeln.
In reality, however, I must admit that with time approaching of arriving in Koeln, the excitement was tinged by as much apprehension over the unknown as I had for Croatia and Bosnia. For, the stagnant memories I've been carrying around would have to adjust and re-focus with the changing facade of both the city itself and the people I associate it with. It's a grueling testament to the fact that time, in fact, does not stand still.
And indeed, there were some familiar sights and friendships that may have fallen by the wayside, but I was more so genuinely and gratefully surprised by the bonds that have remained intact, and to have found within the shifting landscape, room for new relationships... as friend and aunt 😊
In summary, overall, this trip has been incredibly rewarding and nourishing. What I failed to mention earlier, however, is that I did have a travel companion accompanying me throughout - Eat Pray Love. Wandering around lost in your own thoughts for too long can become a dangerous prospect. It's at those times that it can be comforting to have a book that allows you to get lost in somebody else's thoughts for awhile - especially when they belong to a fellow woman taking off to travel foreign countries on her own. Specific parallels between our trips were few.... but I did enjoy some delicious balkan cuisine in the form of cevapi with kajmak, observed the coexistence of various forms of prayer in Sarajevo, and even managed to fall in love.... with a wee little package from Heidelberg.

Until next time.... Hvala and Do videnja.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Severin Str.Severin Str.
Severin Str.

Many things on this street have changed... but at least my bakery's still here!
SchokoladenmuseumSchokoladenmuseum
Schokoladenmuseum

Extremely educational... and interactive :)
Our old apartmentOur old apartment
Our old apartment

The whole place has been completely renovated and updated since we moved out... save for these lovely tiles in bathroom.
With my god-parents.With my god-parents.
With my god-parents.

And I thought I was short before...


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb