Bonn


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
September 28th 2005
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Frankfurter anyone?Frankfurter anyone?Frankfurter anyone?

Joe enjoyed doctoring this fun picture a little bit of Tanya & Wilson having lunch at the train station in Cologne.
Our last “day” of traveling was pretty interesting. We took a train from Amsterdam to Cologne to Bonn, and from there took a local commuter train to the area where the Birkenstock factory is located. We had to keep asking directions from locals to find the place as it was about a 30 minute walk from the train station and no signs really pointing the way except the one right by the factory. There’s an outlet store near the factory that Wilson had been to last time he traveled in that area, and he tempted us to go with promises of rows and rows of Birkenstocks like the scene from the Matrix with Birkenstocks instead of guns. While it wasn’t quite like the Matrix movie (apparently they’ve changed the store since he was there last) they did have a lot of Birkenstocks. I bought a pair of sandals that I’ve been wearing since it still feels like summer in Austin, and Tanya got a nice pair of clogs. Joe found out that apparently his third toe is abnormally long since it went off the end of the shoes when he tried them on in the right size, and apparently Wilson’s feet
Joe the entertainerJoe the entertainerJoe the entertainer

Joe had fun going "off-trail" and hiding in the brush. He really, really enjoyed being outside in this awesome park area and it showed in his playful mood!
are too flat for Birkenstocks. So basically Tanya and I married guys with weird feet, but our feet are normal.

We had wanted to take a Rhine river cruise but ran out of time. The walk from the train station to the factory took us through an awesome city park along the river, though, and Joe especially enjoyed that. While he was trampling off -path Tanya pointed out “German poison ivy” that she thought he’d been in so we were afraid it was going to be a long plane ride back. For those of you that don’t know, Joe got into poison ivy at least 3 times in the first 3 months of this year playing disc golf- apparently he’s very sensitive to the stuff. I guess he either isn’t allergic to “German poison ivy” or he didn’t get into it this time, which was lucky.

On the train ride back to Bonn Tanya and Wilson were spending their last 30 minutes deciding whether or not to go back to Munich with us since they still had 2 more days on their Eurail pass. Talk about planning at the last minute! They decided to go back with us so they could have a night at home to regroup, and then they did some day trips to Rothenberg, Germany and Berchtesgaden, Germany after we left. The last train we took from Cologne to Munich was so packed that we all had to sit separately for the first hour or two, but after that we were able to find some seats together for the rest of the 5 hour ride. It was a fun last day in Europe before our long plane ride home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Sailing anyone?Sailing anyone?
Sailing anyone?

I would have loved to sail on the Rhine River!
Wilson's purchaseWilson's purchase
Wilson's purchase

Even though Wilson's feet were too flat for the Birkenstocks, he did find something to buy at the factory...a shoe horn! He found out it's also useful as a fan for his feet.
Birkenstock score!Birkenstock score!
Birkenstock score!

Tanya and I had to show off our purchases!
Kinder EggsKinder Eggs
Kinder Eggs

When my aunt went to Germany about 15 years ago, she brought back Kinder Eggs...these hollow chocolate eggs with cool little toys inside. I was on a mission to find some on our last day to buy for all our neices and nephews and was so happy we found them at the train station in Cologne. Lucy decided to eat part of one when we got home, and luckily we had one left over, so I guess she knew it was hers!
Cathedral in CologneCathedral in Cologne
Cathedral in Cologne

While I was hunting Kinder Eggs with Tanya, Joe enjoyed this huge cathedral in Cologne that is right beside the main train station.


13th November 2005

yum yum kinder eggs, arent they available in your country? And Wilson is cute!

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb