Zinnowitz


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Mecklenburg-Vorpommern » Zinnowitz
January 31st 2012
Published: February 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Holidays! Everybody loves holidays.

Since arriving in Rostock four months ago I've been really busy in the office and havent had a real chance to relax, neither has my girlfriend Lisa :-( So we were both excited to get away from the big city and head out for a break at the beach town of Zinnowitz. After arriving at the the small railway station we began making our way towards where we imagined the Hotel to be, referring back to memorized google maps pictures . On our way down what looked like the main street we walking past the shops and restaurants that service the multitudes of hotels and resorts that during the summer months are twice the price and swarming with holiday makers.

The hotel we stayed in during out time in Zinnowitz was a part of the Strandhotel Preussenhof called Prinz von Preussen. When we booked the room on the internet all we cared about was that there was a balcony that looked out over the ocean, which from the pictures was what we paid for. When we were taken up to the room I was ready for a fight if that room didn't have the for mention balcony! Which would have been awkward because Lisa would have had to translate my insane rantings about what I paid for blah blah blah. So it was with great relief for myself and everyone involved that the room had a balcony that looked out over the ocean, it was exactly what we wanted and more. The room was big, the bathroom was big, the shower was big. With the room organised we began relaxing!

After our first night we woke up early to set out and do some exploring. We had seen on our journey the previous day that there was a butterfly farm not far from zinnowitz and that's where we headed. I had no great expectations and was again happily surprised! The fully enclosed tropical butterfly farm is huge and full of tropical plants and a selection of butterflies. Aside from the butterfly farm there is also a huge collection of preserved bugs on display in dozens of display cases. Not all of them are dead either, scorpions and spiders 100 times as big as they should be are also on display. It was well worth the visit and made for great day out.

We had only planned to stay two nights but after the first night we decided that it was good enough to stay for a third. Plus we hadn't really had a chance to use the hotels heated pool and saunas untill the second day. You can imagine how great it was to return to the hotel after spending the day in sub-zero temperatures and into a heated spa pool :-)

Visiting a place like this during winter may not sound very appealing to many but when holidays are booked you take them, and you make the most out of them. To say I would enjoy the place more with a warmer temperature is true....but at what cost....lining up to see the sunrise? Having to buy tickets to visit the beach! Ether side has its good and bad points. I was glad to see the frozen shores of the Baltic as the sun rose on a deserted beach far below zero. To me that was a new experience, one that i may not get many chances to ever do again.

To summarise I thought Zinnowitz to be a great getaway location for couples and families. Our Hotel was great and I would go back anytime. The weather was cold but the company was warm :-) We didn't want to leave....but when we did we took some great memories and great photos with us.

Till next time ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



12th February 2012

Zinnowitz feedback.
Alex, i liked your blog, very interesting, your pictures are fantastic. i look forward to reading and seeing what your up too next. i would like to here about the food and the culture and how different or the same it is to Australia. till next time. Sam

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb