Rapunzel & Sleeping Beauty


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Trendelburg
March 30th 2014
Published: April 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another chilly morning but today was a fairy tale day for Em. We get to see both Rapunzel’s castle and we get to SLEEP in Sleeping Beauty’s castle!! Packed and away reasonably early, we drove through the tiny streets of Trendleburg up to the top of the hill and Rapunzel’s castle. It has been turned into a hotel and restaurant and we had a quick look around and took in the lovely view of the town. A long braid hangs down the side of the tower inviting would-be princes to climb up – if they can cross the deep moat! Em found a friendly cat to pat before we moved on.

We had wanted to stop at Tierpark Sababurg for lunch but being a beautiful Sunday afternoon, there was quite a crowd and a pretty steep entry fee too. Instead we headed a couple of km’s back up the road to Urwald which means ‘primeval’ and there are many gnarled old oak and beech trees aged up to about 600 years. A great spot for lunch and Em got to play with the piles of crunchy fallen leaves and climb on the fallen logs while we walked through the forest just beginning to show the signs of spring.

After our walk, we found Sababurg Castle which was the origin of the Sleeping Beauty story. As this is also a restaurant and small hotel, we had booked to stay the night and Em was more than a bit excited. We checked in and took a stroll around the grounds. We also booked in the restaurant for dinner which was quite formal. Em was a true little princess and dinner was absolutely lovely. I would certainly recommend it! Later that evening, we got a knock on our door. It was one of the hotel staff with a local ‘bedtime story’ about Count Reinhard who lends his name to the larger area around the castle – Reinhardswald.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sleeping Beauty's CastleSleeping Beauty's Castle
Sleeping Beauty's Castle

We got to sleep in a real princess castle


Tot: 0.42s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.2263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb