Marburg, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Marburg
May 26th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

On Saturday May 26th I travelled with my friend Will to Marburg, about 1 hour North from Frankfurt Am Main by train.

The city of Marburg is located by the Lahn River and is a beautiful German city with traditional German buildings and walking paths. "Other cities have a university, Marburg is a university" as the saying of Marburg goes. Quoting the city web site "The Phillipps-University in Marburg is very old, founded in 1529, and has about 18 000 students and 7000 employees. The majority of students come from all parts of Germany."

We arrived at Marburg around lunch time and found a good place to eat just around the corner from railway station. After lunch we crossed the river and walked towards downtown. On our way there we saw the gorgeous Church of St. Elisabeth, built 1235-1281. Outside at the church yard we saw a miniature model of the church. The model is made for the blind people - so that they can feel the Church of St. Elisabeth. Elisabeth, the daughter of the king of Hungary, married the Thuringian Landgrave Ludwig IV. She established a hospital and later distributed her possessions among the poor and sick. The city of Marburg still carries on her care of the poor and sick.

From the church we headed towards downtown and the Landgrave Castle. Marburg has a cute shopping district in the heart of the city. Small allies, traditional German buildings and green walking paths lead your way to craft stores and stylish shops. We found our way to the Rathaus (town hall) and from there continued our way to the castle.

The Landgrave Castle stands high on a hill top. We took the Bickell stairway to get there. We missed the opening hours of the University Museum of Cultural History but enjoyed sunshine and the view over the city at the castle. The castle itself was built in the 14th century and it has served as a fortress and garrison, prison, State Archive and today as a museum.

On our way back home we got stuck in a train! The beautiful sunny weather turned suddenly into a bad thunder storm and while travelling from Marburg to Frankfurt a tree fell over the train. The tree cut off electricity and there we were, stuck in a darkness in the middle of nowhere! Luckily the driver knew what to do and we were able to continue our journey after about 15-20 minutes. Such an exciting ending for the day! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb