Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
March 16th 2013
Published: March 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Having lived in West Berlin in the mid-eighties, this fabulous city has always had a place in my heart. Historical, vibrant, and always moving, it is a must see for anyone wanting to experience something a little different. History buff, party animal or seasoned traveller will find a gem to entertain them. Nite clubs in the old eastern side of town, the wide open park spaces and waterfronts, to the awful historical truth of the Mitte district are just scratching the surface of Germanys' capital . From the Topography of Terrors, to the Stasi headquarters, the Olympic Stadium, Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie Museum, the Wansee and the Matrix Club are only the start.There are many wonderful eateries all over town, from homegrown currywurst (a personal favourite of mine and my wife) to international cuisine and a fantastic bavarian themed resturant a stones throw from Alexanderplatz. The U bahn, buses, trams and trains can whisk you unerringly around the place with typical efficiency. A five day travel ticket, called the Berlin Welcome Card, which is available from the airport at a cost of 35 euros, will take you on all types of transport throughout Berlin. This city is trying very hard to atone for its past, and for me it has ceratinly succeeded. If you see nothing else, try to visit, the wall memorial at Bernauer Strasse, the DDR Museum (Karl-Liebknecht Strasse), the view from the T.V tower in Alexanderplatz and the vastness of the Russian War memorial at Treptow Park. A very warm welcome will be had at the Trabi museum, a short walk from Checkpoint Charlie. If there is a down side and there always is, Schonefeld airport is dreadful and that is putting it midly. Getting in is fine, out is another thing, dont be in any rush to get there for you flight home. It is VERY cramped with limited seating, not only in the general areas but the departure lounges too. Incidently, the Berlin mayor had to step down recently over the building of its long overdue replacement.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb