Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
December 30th 2010
Published: December 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

My internet connection is not as convenient as in London but I will try and do my best and keep my blog up to date.

Our last sightseeing day took us to the British Museum. With the traindrivers working again we caught the tube to Russell Square, and disembarked in this most attractive area of London. A short walk took us to the museum where we split up to explore the vast spaces and extraordinary collections.

On the 28th we travelled to Berlin,and thankfully no problems with flights. Plenty of snow on the ground here, maybe 50cm, and temperatures a fresh -11 on arrival. Our hotel is very comfortable and warm, but we did venture out for dinner and a walk along the Kurfurstendamm, the main shopping strip to orientate ourselves. We are staying not far from where I stayed in February so I am alittle familiar with the area.

Yesterday we got more of a sense of the city, we walked from our hotel past a snow covered Tiergarten to the Brandenburg Gates and the Riechstag. Unfortunately the Riechstag was closed to visitors, so the boys were alittle disappointed. I had been lucky enough to have had dinner there in the famous dome on my previous visit. We then walked to the Potsdammer Platz to a highlight particularly for Duncan and Hugh - Legoland! It was pretty good actually as they had an amazing replica of Berlin in Lego. Will and Duncan are also pretty excited as the legal age to drink beer here is 16!
Today we spent the day reviewing Berlin's 20th century history in a crisp -14 and some light snow. Somehow we have found ourselves in the coldest spot in Europe, but its not too bad, there is no wind and apart from being cold, its not unpleasant. We caught the U-bahn to Checkpoint Charlie, where we spent plenty of time looking at the displays along a section of the old wall. We then went out of the cold into the Museum which was very interesting and told lots of stories of events past. After lunch we went to the Topography of Terror, a new musuem located on the site of the SS headquarters, with a very matter of fact view of the rise and fall of the Nazi Party.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

British Musuem British Musuem
British Musuem

Queen Elizabeth II Great Court
TiergartenTiergarten
Tiergarten

Landwehrka
Platz der RepublikPlatz der Republik
Platz der Republik

in front of the Reichstag


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb