Berlin in the sun


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
September 17th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

OK - let's call it exhaustion!! I have not been able to hold a computer mouse let alone think clearly enough to write a blog entry. We have walked our old fool feet off and by the time we get back to the hostel it is all I can do to make it up the eight flights of stairs and flop on the bed. So here is an update on the stuff we have done in Berlin...

First we are staying in a room for two at the East Seven Hostel in Berlin... It is wonderful and clean. I can see why they have won awards for Best Hostel in Germany. Each morning you can buy a cup of coffee (made by order from their espresso machine) for .50 euros. I have fallen in love with their homemade biscotti. It makes quite the breakfast. Then each evening there is a happy hour when the 2 euro beers become 1 euro (no, I am not kidding!!).

Many of the sites we have seen are in East Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate, Deutches Bank and the nearby US Embassy were among the first we saw. The gate has been restored and really shines against the blue sky. The Deutches Bank office at the gate was designed by the same architect that did the Experience Music Project (EMP) at the Seattle Center. But the US Embassy is pretty non-descript.

Around the corner from there is the Reichstag (essentially the German congress). It was left in tatters after Hitler and has been rebuilt with a HUGE glass dome on top. This is to remind all that government should be transparent and available to the people. There was a one hour long line to get through security but it was definitely worth seeing. We tried to take Rick Steves' advice and make it late in the afternoon. Then it is only an hour - in the morning it can take 2+ hours.

At the right of the Reichstag is a memorial to the political opponents of Hitler that were among the first to be subjected to his tyranny. Each is represented by a slate slab set upright on it's edge. The upper edge of each is labeled with the person's name, year of birth, year of death, where they died and their political party. The picture these dark gray slabs paints is indelibly etched in my mind.

A few blocks away is the Murdered Jews Memorial. This is hard to describe and get the meaning across. I will post some pictures that will show this. A picture or two is worth many more words attempting a good description.

A short trip by public transportation and you find yourself at the fairly new Topography of Terror. This is at a research center for scholars studying the horrors of the Nazi time. It also is just below a block long section of the Wall that is still standing. They are going to maintain and preserve this section of the wall. Most of the rest of the wall has been torn down and in its place is a cobble stone path that traces the entire walls length. It is thought provoking to stare done the length such as in front of the Brandenburg Gate and think what it must have been like before 1989.

Checkpoint Charlie is fairly near there but is nothing like the serious nature of the Topography of Terror. This location is now a profit making venture with men in costume to pose for pictures. But at least the guard hut location is noted and gives perspective on one of the few old crossings between East & West.

We attempted to see the Victory Column but it is closed for renovation and maintenance. Gary suggested that we stroll back to the Brandenburg Gate along the beautiful tree lined street. It was beautiful for the first 1 - 1.5 kilometers but by kilometer 2 and then 3, I was trying to find a nice way to say “I'm done”. I gave up and said it was time for a break and a beer.

That brings up another point that seems to be a common discussion point with all the folks we meet along the way. As we grow older the 5 and 6 mile walking tourist days are harder and harder to endure...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb