Homelessness in Berliln


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
August 25th 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I'm so sad! No one has commented on my blogs about Berlin. I have to conclude that it's me you don't find interesting, not Berlin, because Berlin, in my opinion, is the most exciting city in Europe. Here's an example of how Berlin often leads the way when it comes to trends and defining what's cool:
I just heard a story on Michigan Public Radio (MPR/NPR) about the homeless population in Washtenaw County where my hometown of Ann Arbor, Michigan, is located. A group of homeless people have started a monthly newspaper and will be selling it on various street corners around the county. The majority of the proceeds will go directly to support services to the homeless with some going to the homeless person him/herself. The newspaper will contain articles on different aspects of homelessness--foreclosures, for instance. The first issue features a story about a young woman's history of homelessness which began when she was fourteen years old. Sounds kind of interesting, right? And certainly innovative, but . . . the homeless in Berlin have had the same kind of newspaper for many years--written, printed, and sold by individuals around the city who are unemployed and homeless. In Berlin, though, the norm is to purchase a copy of the newspaper but not to take the actual copy so the seller will have lots of copies left to 'sell.' This dignifies the practice of begging, I think. Leave it to Berlin to develop a new take on an old phenomenon.
So, what are you waiting for! Subscribe to my blog if you want more information on Europe's edgiest city, Berlin, Germany.
Love from your Berlin Mom

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb