Berlin in a sunny-stormy day


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
May 26th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Berlin is the capital city and one of sixteen states of Germany. With a population of 3.4 million within its city limits, Berlin is Germany's largest city. It is the second most populous city and the eighth most populous urban area in the European Union. Located in northeastern Germany, it is the center of the Berlin-Brandenburg metropolitan area, comprising 5 million people from over 190 nations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-KircheThe Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche
The Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche

The Memorial Church on Kurfürstendamm is a monument to peace and reconciliation, and the internationally famous symbol of Berlin's desire to rebuild itself in the aftermath of the war.
Tierpark Friedrichsfelde: A Park for AnimalsTierpark Friedrichsfelde: A Park for Animals
Tierpark Friedrichsfelde: A Park for Animals

The zoological gardens at Berlin-Friedrichsfelde are home to several rare species, and are notable for their spacious enclosures. The 160-hectare zoo is located in the historic parklands around Friedrichsfelde Palace.
Siegessäule: Wings and WeaponsSiegessäule: Wings and Weapons
Siegessäule: Wings and Weapons

The Siegessäule, with its golden statue of Victory, is one of the most imposing landmarks in the city. It was built to commemorate victory in the Prussian-Danish war.
Fernsehturm: Berlin from AboveFernsehturm: Berlin from Above
Fernsehturm: Berlin from Above

The Fernsehturm, the highest building in the city, is one of Berlin's biggest attractions. Its total height is 368 meters: the viewing platform is at a height of 203 metres.
Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas: Place of RemembranceDenkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas: Place of Remembrance
Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas: Place of Remembrance

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe is the central place for remembrance and a place of warning. Situated in Berlins city centre, the memorial was built near the Reichstag and the Brandenburger Tor.
Brandenburger Tor: Symbol of a CityBrandenburger Tor: Symbol of a City
Brandenburger Tor: Symbol of a City

The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin's only remaining city gate, is the true symbol of the city. Because it was situated in the no man's land just behind the »wall, it also became symbolic of the division of the city.


Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 23; qc: 120; dbt: 0.2578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb