Hitler's Bunker


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
November 9th 2008
Published: November 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

If Em hadn't have told us, we would have assumed that the empty corner across the street from some ordinary apartment buildings held any significance. In fact, this was the site of Hitler's Bunkers and where he spent his last days.

He was hidden away in one of his bunkers as the city was being bombed. To the end, Hitler truly believed that they were going to win the war.

Hitler was on a concoction of about 30 different medication prescribed by his physician, including some pretty heavy, mind-altering stuff. So whatever other health/mental issues he had, we sure his meds didn't really help this situation all that much.

Before he died Hitler married his long-time mistress. He had never married before, saying that he was married to the German people. And that was a crowd pleaser ... to have a strong, bachelor leader that didn't need a woman. During the final days of his life, however, he "divorced" the people, saying it was their fault, that they had been unfaithful, then he marries Eva Braun on April 20, 1945. The next day they commit suicide, rather than be killed by the invading troops. They both take poison and then Hitler shoots himself for a soldier's death.

Hitler left instructions that they were both to be burned, but with such little fuel that was available, his men weren't able to complete the job fully. His remain were taken and hidden for a while, eventually becoming public, then burned, crushed up, and thrown into the river, so that there would never be any place that his followers could memorialize him.

This is also why Hitler's bunkers are closed and sealed off. Although many have a lot of interest to see them, it's agreed that no real good would come by allowing people in to see where Hitler lived out his final days. However, a lot of unwanted bad can be prevented by keeping them closed off and somewhat ignored or forgotten.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb