Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After having several days off with a cold (in what is basically summer) we were both quite relieved to be heading to Berlin to do some more sightseeing, especially the Reichstag and the remains of the Berlin Wall. So after a very quick trip through the very flat East German countryside we arrived at Berlin Central station. As with all the other major German cities, Berlin's public transport was exceptional and made getting to our hostel very simple, although we did get off the S-Bahn (suburban train) one stop early and had to walk about a kilometre to the hostel, which turned out to right in front of the station we should have departed at, nevermind.
Our hostel, The Generator, had a very industrial feeling about it with fake pipes and ventilation ducts running all over the place, not to mention the fact that the lighting had a very blue tint about it. Despite the fact that it seems to be used a lot by school groups it was a nice place to stay.
Our first day consisted of a sightseeing tour by bus which gave us a feel for the city and showed us where the sights we wanted to see where located. This was followed by a train back to Hamburg so we could have dinner at a lovely Croatian restuarant with the people we had previously stayed with. The next day we took a local train to a place called Soltau just south of Hamburg to see the house that Tamsin's father was born in. Following that we headed back to Berlin.
The next day we purchased a Three Day City Card which gave us unlimited travel on all public transport and discounts to various attractions and musuems throughout Berlin. First stop was Checkpoint Charlie and the longest remaining stretch of original Wall. Turns out you can get an East Berlin Visitors stamp in your passport that was used back when the checkpoint was actually in use, for a small fee of course. After that we headed to the Berlin Zoo which was surprisingly busy for a Monday. The main attraction there is a Polar Bear Cub called "Knut" who was abandoned by his mother at birth and was hand-raised by the keeper. Turned out to be Tamsin's favourite animal at the Zoo. Mine was the () Tiger, which for a change was up and running around.
The following day we visited a place called the Berlin Story which told the story of Berlin over the last 760 years. A very interesting place with an incredible amount of information and displays. Then it was off to the Reichstag which was once the seat of Germany's parliament (check this). Other than the fact it is a very impressive building, it has a very modern dome on top of it that you can walk around and get a pretty decent view of the city. Unfortunately it was closed for maintenance for the time we were there. We are however back in Berlin for one night at the end of the month so will try again then.
Our final day we had a well deserved sleep-in followed by clothes washing yet again and repacking of backpacks in preparation for our seven hour train journey to Switzerland!!! Although I am sad to be leaving Germany it is time to move on. Therefore, next stop, Lucerne!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb