" I am a jelly-filled doughnut"


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
July 15th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ich bin ein Berliner... Kennedy's famous words as he spoke out about the fall of the Berlin wall... oh dear.

Welcome though ladies... Gentlemen to the city of Berlin capital of Germany. But first i must tell you of this morning, with our hostel we got free breakfast. Most of the things laid out where for sandwidges so we made our lunch and smuggled it out as it was "forbidden" to take food from the breakfast hall. (Laura made tea with cream again, hee hee)

The train journey was a long one somewhere near six and a half hours... we started in a compartment with some Canadians but where moved on after Hanover as suddenly most seats became reserved. The train journeys themselves are really beautiful i think.

Berlin is HUGE and i mean massive, the train, tram and metro passes are cheaper here though than in Holland which made my wallet smile. Especially considering our hostel was quite along way from the center and impossible to find. In the end our only clue was two old dears in a cafe waving frantically at us to go around the back (i think they were sick of seeing our sorry looking faces plodding up and down the street). The room was nice but the hostel itself seemed a little run down but we didn't really plan on spending much time in the lift or hallway so that was ok.

Currywurst is a spiced sausage and a typical snack found at most takeaways in Berlin. I managed to order two for me and laura to eat on our way into the city to meet Paul.

I like Paul, he's alot of fun (Paul is Laura's good friend from college) Paul was in Berlin for a festival with his friend Dan, his brother Mark and his brothers girlfriend Kate. They were all lovely people and invited us to a squatters beach party in pretty much the cultural/trendy center of Berlin (or big shoreditch as Laura says).

We had a great time but didn't realize that our metro line stopped running at twelve thirty. we had to catch the tram and it took around two hours, it was a little much for a tired Laura to cope with. I got us home safe in the end and tucked Laura up in bed, read her a bedtime story and all was well again.

The end.

Stuart

..
U

Advertisement



21st July 2008

Arbeit Macht Frei.
Currywurst was one of the few nouns I managed to remember for my GCSE German oral (teehee...oral) exam. That, and Kunst, which means art, and Pampelmuse, which is a grapefruit. So I got an "Uber" for that. Well, I envy your adventurous lives. Spare a thought for the children of the credit crunch. Take care. Keep writing. It's good reading. xX

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb