Eisen de Hosen? Lieder Snitzel? Sprechen ze Deutche?


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
March 9th 2008
Published: March 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Berlin, Berlin, Berlin ... a city with quite a history!!! We don't even know where to start with Germany. Unfortunatelly, we were running out of time in Europe, so we really only got to see Berlin, but what an incredible city! Their public transportation system is absolutelly insane!!! They've got S-Bahns, U-Bahns, Subways, Buses, trams ... you could live here without owning a car, ever. Thank god Trevor knows how to read a map!

When we first got to Berlin, we were feeling quite tired (don't laugh, this travel thing is alot of work!) and just spent the first few days doing nothing except drink beer and eat sausages. Day three we got back in the game and joined a free walking tour of the city. Walking around, we were a bit awestruck ... just knowing the power and destruction that has come through this city ... it was a bit wierd to take it all in. Highlights of the tour were the Brandenburg Gate, the place where Hitler killed himself, and of course the Berlin Wall. Both of us wished that we had paid a little more attention in school, we couldn't remember many of the little details that we knew we were supposed to know!! We were most intriqued by hearing the story of HOW the wall came down ... it was all because one man wouldn't read the memo his secretary gave him before a press conference! Learning about life behind the wall was interesting to us ... we can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like for those people! Berlin today though, is very different than it used to be ... the city has come a long way!

Also, one of the more disturbing things we did in Germany was visit a concentration camp. The camp we saw is called Sachsenhausen, it is about 40 minutes outside Berlin, and was used as the initial model for all other camps. They have done an incredible job of preserving the camp to tell the story of what happened there, and although we were sick to our stomachs at points, we both felt it was an important place to see. Our minds cannot comprehend how mankind can be so cruel.

Unfortunatelly, that was pretty much it for Germany ... at that point, we planned to head back to Belgium to meet our friend before
This is Where Hitler Killed HimselfThis is Where Hitler Killed HimselfThis is Where Hitler Killed Himself

Not "here" here, but underground in his bunker ... and nowadays, in the words of our guide, it is a place where locals bring their dogs to shit.
heading back to France to ski for a few days. Germany intrigued us alot though, and one day we will be back!!

Happy Travels,
Trevor and Kristena


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

HahahahahaHahahahaha
Hahahahaha

........
The Berlin WallThe Berlin Wall
The Berlin Wall

The 2nd largest section left standing today.
A Tiny Piece of HomeA Tiny Piece of Home
A Tiny Piece of Home

... same prices as in Canada, but in Euros!
Micheal Jackson Hung His Kid Off The Penthouse Balcony in This HotelMicheal Jackson Hung His Kid Off The Penthouse Balcony in This Hotel
Micheal Jackson Hung His Kid Off The Penthouse Balcony in This Hotel

... It only costs 12000 Euros a night, and that includes rocket proof walls and bullet proof windows.
Monument to the Murdered JewsMonument to the Murdered Jews
Monument to the Murdered Jews

A very interesting piece of work, it is very subjective to what one believes it means.
German SouvenirsGerman Souvenirs
German Souvenirs

... oh geez ...
Pretend This Looks Pretty ...Pretend This Looks Pretty ...
Pretend This Looks Pretty ...

at least the Germans try to make construction season a little less ugly!
Sad .. and Powerful ...Sad .. and Powerful ...
Sad .. and Powerful ...

This statue is of a mother holding her fallen soldier, and to her left and right are the remains of both a German Soldier and a Jewish person who died in a concentration camp.
Mercedes? Taxis?Mercedes? Taxis?
Mercedes? Taxis?

... this might explain why a taxi ride costs a fortune!
Save Our PlanetSave Our Planet
Save Our Planet

Berlin Wall


25th March 2008

damn I wanna eat at white trash
26th March 2008

hey buddy!!!
thanks for commenting on the blog!! we appreciate it! ;) and if you think white trash restaurant looks nice ... you should also try 'wurst salat' which was right next store!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb