Ich Bin Ein Berliner


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
January 4th 2003
Published: November 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

How do you spend a day in Berlin? First of all, hearing the conductor on the train on the way to Berlin saying that "it's 18 degrees below zero" is kind of a turnoff. Upon arrival, one option is to buy a daily public transportation pass and go around on random, getting off at random stops. This works for a while, at least until you have seen Alexanderplatz, the only place you really know. Then you realize that this is not very efficient. So a better method is to call an old-time buddy you haven't seen in over 5 years, bug him in his final exam studies, and make him lead the tour. That's when you’re getting somewhere.

Reichstag is a good start. Interesting architecture, with an upside cone hanging over the deciding politicians like the sword of Damocles. The scenic spot on the roof is not very warm, but it’s free, and the view is astonishing. Nearby is the Brandenburger gate. Nice monument, right on the split between former east and west. Potzdamer platz is renown, but at the time a construction site. Not very scenic at all.

A block away is Sony center, a huge entertainment center, sponsored by - Sony. The shopping streets around Kurfurstendamm are, although grande, not very different from other cities. Same stores, same fast food. And again, the cold does not invite to a detailed exploration of the city. Because it needs an exploration. It's very, very big. Indeed super-big. And super-big cities have things to offer. To be continued - when the warm weather permits.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb