Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
August 26th 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Here's our pictures from Berlin. I highly recommend visitors go to Treptower Park, it is simply awesome. The Berlin metro can be awfully confusing, and there are a lot of neo-nazis in Berlin, so be very careful. It'd probably be a good idea to bring some pepper spray or something to defend yourself with, because they will attack you. Berlin is a beautiful and interesting city, but it's horrifying to have to see nazis walking around right after seeing Halocaust Memorial. I understand a lot of them hang out around Alexanderplatz and the nieghbourhood known as Alex. We stayed very close to there because we didn't know and the hotels are cheap (I think we stayed in what used to be an East Berlin apartment complex, but is now a 2 star hotel).

The DDR Museum is worth the trip. It is by far the most interactive and interesting museum I have ever been to. The Fernsehtrum or TV Tower, built by the Soviets, is also very cool and great for the views of Berlin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

GedachtniskircheGedachtniskirche
Gedachtniskirche

Memorial Church - memorial of the horror & destruction of war, monument to peace & reconciliation, symbol of Berlin's desire to rebuild after war.
SiegessauleSiegessaule
Siegessaule

Golden statue of Victory, in Tiergarten.
Bode MuseumBode Museum
Bode Museum

On Museumsinsel, aka Museum Island on the Spree River.
Memorial of the Socialists in FriedrichsfeldeMemorial of the Socialists in Friedrichsfelde
Memorial of the Socialists in Friedrichsfelde

Monument reads "Die Toten Mahnen Uns." Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht are buried here, along with many other revolutionaries.
Halocaust MemorialHalocaust Memorial
Halocaust Memorial

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe - Place of Rememberance. This memorial is made of material where graffiti can be washed off easily. Good thing too, because there's lots of neo-nazis in Berlin.
Karl Marx Allee - Socialist Realist ArchitectureKarl Marx Allee - Socialist Realist Architecture
Karl Marx Allee - Socialist Realist Architecture

After WW2, the Soviets built many buildings such as this to deal with the housing crisis.
Lechtenstein BridgeLechtenstein Bridge
Lechtenstein Bridge

Monument for Rosa Luxemburg at the Liechtenstein Bridge over the Lanwehr Canal in Tiergarten District. After Rosa was shot in 1919, her body was thrown over this bridge by her murderers.
Treptower ParkTreptower Park
Treptower Park

Designed by Soviet architect Yakov Belopolsky, the Soviet War Memorial in Treptower Park is magnificient. It was built to commemorate the 20,000 Soviet soldiers who died defeating the nazis in April-May 1945.
Rotes RathausRotes Rathaus
Rotes Rathaus

Red Town Hall


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb