Berlin!!!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 29th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Berlin - one of the "must see" cities in Germany!


I met Pekka at Berlin-Tegel airport early on Friday morning. He flew there from Finland and I flew in from Frankfurt. A convenient place to meet because it is almost half a way to both of us. We are staying in Berlin for 4 days and we wish to see as many historical places as possible within these days.



We did some research in the Internet before the trip and knew that we wanted to have some sort of day or weekend tourist ticket in order to safe money (and trouble!) when travelling in Berlin city. We ended up buying a city tour card called "Das Berlin ticket". This ticket is valid for all public transport in the tariff zones Berlin AB or ABC. It also facilitates use of discounted offers related to many tourist attractions. For us this was the most convenient "tourist pass".



We had a hostel in eastern side of the city and decided to go there first and leave the luggage there. The hostel was located by Landsberger Allee railway station and was called Generator Hostel Berlin. The quality of the hostel was good when compared to its price and breakfast was included in the room price. We had a private suite for two. It was a clean and neat little room with a private bathroom. This hostel interior has some quite impressive colors...


The first day went by fast. We travelled to city center and walked in the Museum island and Unter den Linden. We visited the Nikolaikirche and Berliner Dom - both strongly recommended!! Berliner Dom is a beautiful cathedral! The entrance fee included also entrance to the dome museum and the dome cupola. Well worth the money! And the view from the cupola over the city was gorgeous.


We saw the Rotes Rathaus (the Red town hall) and the Fernsehturm (the television tower). And we walked around the Nikolaiviertel and along the Spree riverside. We did some shopping at the Berlin Shop at Karl-Liebknechtstrasse and at well in a restaurant near the area. Later in the evening we stopped for a "Tee and Kuche" (tea and cake) at Nikolaivierten. We followed the suggestions of our Eyewitness Travel Guide and found a cosy and affordable restaurant near the Nikolaikirche. And the Kuche was d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb