The Food and Drink that are Must-Tries in Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
October 22nd 2019
Published: October 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

For a vast period of time, the German city of Berlin has been famous for its rich history in traditional foods and drinks. With a wide array of different delicacies to choose from, the capital of Germany certainly won’t leave those traveling to the city disappointed.

As a result, we’re going to look at some of the most famous food and drinks that are available in the second most heavily populated city in Europe.

Berliner Weisse



Dating back to the 16th century, Berliner Weisse is a traditional Berlin drink. For many, this choice of drink is considered as being a beer style of eccentricities. The beverage itself is cloudy in appearance, contains approximately three percent alcohol and is often compared to champagne when it comes to taste due to its carbonation. Moreover, despite being traditional in color, the addition of Himbeere or Waldmeister can alter its appearance to either a bright red or green, making it even more unique.

Following the success of the drink within Germany, it has since become a favorite on the craft beer market throughout the world, particularly in America. Berliner Weisse continues to be traditionally brewed in Berlin and is widely available in many dining establishments throughout the country, even though it’s typically considered a summer drink.

Pretzels



Perhaps more universally known than Berliner Weisse, but much like the popular summer drink, pretzels are also one of Germany’s most famous delicacies. While their precise origins are unknown, the baked treat has been continually modernized in recent years and is now commonly available throughout Berlin.

Within the city, pretzel stands can be commonly found, and some no longer sell the bakery item in its traditional form. In Berlin, 'brezels' are now being baked in more diverse ways, with some containing cheese and others being filled with butter. Furthermore, along with being found in Kamps Backstube bakeries, Zeit fur Brot, an award-winning bakery with a store in Berlin, has combined the German delicacy with croissants, an Austrian-originated bakery item.

Schnitzel



Much like pretzels, and although they too didn’t originate in Berlin, schnitzels have become one of Germany’s most sought-after delicacies. For those traveling to Germany, sampling one of the many dishes that contain fried meat is a must. Following its immense popularity in Austria and Germany, the thinly pounded meat has become globally adopted, with many countries outside of Europe integrating the meat into their traditional dishes. Schnitzel can be ordered in several restaurants throughout Berlin, including Alpenstuck, Max und Moritz, and the aptly-named Schnitzelei.

However, for anyone wishing to make a traditional meal containing schnitzel, then there are many convenient home cooking ideas that integrate the delicacy. For example, HelloFresh, an international meal-kit company, provides easy-to-follow recipes and pre-portioned ingredients in order to take the hassle out of cooking. As they were founded in Berlin, their German roots appear in many of their recipe concepts. For those looking to make traditional dishes with schnitzel, HelloFresh offers many mouthwatering recipes, including pork schnitzel with potatoes and summertime pork schnitzel.

There is plenty to try in Berlin




In a city that’s got a rich history when it comes to food and drink, it’s no surprise that visitors find themselves spoiled for choice. From Berliner Weisse to pretzels and schnitzels, there is plenty to sample in Berlin.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.457s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb