Bavarian adventures


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
September 6th 2008
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Julian's signJulian's signJulian's sign

Like I said -- fit for any pirate!!
After leaving wonderful friend in Konstanz, we were met with even more wonderful friends in Munich.

To give you a background -- we met Matt and Koko four years ago in Australia during our last adventure. Since that time, they have started a business, moved into a home that would fill up an IKEA showroom, and had a beautiful boy named Julian. Unfortunately, we had a little mishap on our way to Munich by train (which, for the sake of time, we will not write about that). We were so lucky to walk by a window near a store where Matt and Koko had begun an email to us. When we turned the corner, we were greeted with hugs and a warm Bavarian welcome!!

Because the majority of time we spent with Matt and Koko was on a boat called the Santa Maria, Julian had only seen pictures of us on the boat. And, to him, we were pirates. So -- they prepared a sign fit for a couple of pirates😊

We spent three days in their home in Eriding and a cabin in the Austrian Alps. We had more "shor-les" (juice/water mixture) and was introduced to white
alpine slidealpine slidealpine slide

"Eins, tsvy, dry!!!"
sausage, Erdingweiss and Radlers (sp?). The first probably needs no explanation (except we will say that these were AWESOME!), but Erdingweiss is the beer brewed in their hometown, and a Radler is the perfect beer for Patsy. Actually, it is a mixture of sparkling lemonade and and beer -- perfect for a summer day, and surprisingly it is not a "girl beer." You'll find German guys who will even drink these (before 6 pm).

In the Austrian Alps, we flew kites, ran some "hills" for a workout, went on a genuine alpine slide -- and even introduced Matt and Koko to grilling chicken. In Erding, we celebrated the beginning of Fall by attending the yearly "Herbsfest" (which is a smaller version of Octoberfest which we will miss by 2 weeks). We went on a rollercoaster and had some beers -- good times.

And, sadly, our time was up and we were off to Prague. Those few days with the Geiger family was such an amazing time. They gave us -- though brief -- a great look into German culture; the way of living, how the tragic events of history impact their everyday life and national self-awarenss. I am
Herbsfest everyone!!Herbsfest everyone!!Herbsfest everyone!!

We love Erding!
sure that we are not saying this eloquently enough, but we are still digesting our experiences too (and the internet clock is ticking)...

As Julian taught us when we were off on another journey "Eins, tsvy, dry!" (1 - 2 - 3) (GO!!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb