Rothenburg - Germany's Venice


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Rothenburg ob der Tauber
October 8th 2011
Published: October 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post



We were on the road by 8:30am this morning on our way to Rothenburg ob de Tauber, which is 4hrs away from Berchtesgaden. There was another drop in temperature and for most of the drive we were in the middle of heavy wet snow/rain mix. It’s still hard to believe 2 days ago we were saying we thought we had packed too warm for the trip with our long sleeve tops. Thank goodness we brought layers!

It was a pretty slow drive with the weather and having to drive through tons of road construction and Munich, so we arrived around 1:30pm and got checked into our hotel which is perfectly situated across from the main square. Within 20 minutes of being outside and beginning to walk around we both knew that we wanted to cancel our Munich hotel tomorrow night and just have our last 2 German sleeps be here. So impromptu decision….we’re staying in this perfectly preserved Medieval town!

The town dates back to the 1100s and is a completely walled city. It is just magnificent, and the title of the blog says it all, “it is the Venice of Germany.” You can wander the cobblestone streets forever here and know that eventually you will find your way back to one of the main roads. No need to worry about getting too lost, remember we are walled in, LOL! Many of the buildings date back to the 1400s, with some of the wooden gates closing off the town still original from the 1500s.

We ‘ve just spent the past 2 days wandering around, exploring shops, and walking the wall. It is just so storybook perfect here….

This evening we did the Night Watchman Tour, which was just fantastic. The guy who does the tour sounds like he literally walked out of Monty Python. He was both informative and funny. Here is a link from a YouTube video to check him out:

&feature=related

Tomorrow morning we are off to spend our last hours in Munich before flying out and back to Moscow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Glockenspeil sceneGlockenspeil scene
Glockenspeil scene

This was so stupid, but of course we watched it as did everyone else. Nothing basically happens. The person on the right slowwwllly brings his mug to his mouth and thats about it.
Mask at the Torture MuseumMask at the Torture Museum
Mask at the Torture Museum

Someone who acted like a pig was forced to wear this mask in public


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb